10 Fun Facts About Emerson

Emerson College is a great school for performing arts and communications. Its websites lists a ton of stats about this Boston-based school, but what can an insider tell you? Here are ten fun facts about Emerson College!

1. Emerson is not named after Ralph Waldo Emerson - it’s actually named after Charles Wesley Emerson. Charles was an orator, teacher, and preacher, and the founding father of the college.

2. Emerson owns a castle in the Netherlands where students can study abroad. It’s called Kasteel Well and is located in the village of Well.

3. The set from Will & Grace used to be located in Emerson’s Iwasaki Library. Alum Max Mutchnick, co-creator of the show, donated it to the college.

4. Speaking of famous alumni, makeup artist Bobbi Brown, talk show host Jay Leno, and actor Henry Winkler all graduated from Emerson.

5. The Emerson gym is named after Bobbi Brown. The Bobbi Brown and Steven Plofker gym is located in Emerson’s Piano Row dorm building.

Applying to college next year?
View the application files, essays and advice of accepted students.

6. Emerson has 14 Division III sport teams, including men’s and women’s basketball, cross-country, soccer, and lacrosse, amongst others.

7. Emerson also has an Intramural Quidditch League.

8. Emerson has two radio stations, including WERS-FM, the oldest noncommercial station in Boston.

9. Emerson has its own student-run awards show, the Evvys. They started in 1982.

10. Emerson is now mostly located on Boylston Street and Tremont Street in Boston, but it used to be located in Beacon Hill.

Are you looking to apply to Emerson or just starting to build out your college list? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

emilyhillebran…
Emerson

Accepted to Bard, , , Hofstra, Emerson

I'm a freshman at Emerson College majoring in Writing, Literature, and Publishing.
kimjuly
Emerson

Accepted to UT Austin, Emerson, St. John's, Hofstra

Hi, I'm super friendly and I like researching things. I love dogs, politics, sushi and completing check-lists!
Keely
Emerson

Accepted to Emerson, Northeastern, William & Mary, BU, Florida

Hi! I'm Keely and I'm an Emerson journalism major. I love writing about music, entertainment, travel, and sports, and in my free time I love planning imaginary trips for myself.
carriexcullen
Emerson

Accepted to Emerson, Art Center, UCSB

A freshman just trying to save the earth and make some films.