10 Fun Facts about Emory

From mischievous skeletons to civil rights leaders, Emory has it all. It’s no wonder that students are proud of their history and tradition. Here are 10 awesome facts about Emory that almost make up for the fact that the school cancelled Wednesday vacations. More on that later…

1. Dooley’s Week: Dooley, a skeleton used in the biology department in 1899, became the unofficial mascot and guardian of school spirit at Emory. Once every year during Spring an unidentified student dresses up as Dooley and upholds school spirit and creates mild mischief. The student even has the ability to end a class early just by walking in and declaring the class to be over!

Presidents may come, presidents may go; professors may come, professors may go; students may come, students may go; but Dooley goes on forever!

2. Perfect for Writers: Considered one of the best writing programs in the United States, Emory was ranked #1 for writers by Huffington Post and USA Today.

3. Oxford Olympics: At the start of each year every dorm on campus takes part in a day of Olympic activity, competing against one another in tug of wars and water balloon fights!

4. Civil Rights Leaders: Emory was at the forefront of change during the civil rights movement and successfully campaigned for the inclusion of women in the early 1950s and then for racial integration. 

5. Wonderful Wednesdays: Until recently Wednesdays were considered a day off at Emory! While that tradition has sadly died, the school spirit it induced has not, and every Wednesday there are themed activities all around campus that have included: a petting zoo, bouncy castles, and ice-cream tastings!

6. Notable Faculty: Former President Jimmy Carter, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, and Writer Sir Salman Rushdie have all taught at Emory University! 

7. Oxford College vs Emory College: Freshman and Sophomores can attend different colleges at Emory University, with some attending Oxford College and others Emory College before joining together for their Junior and Senior years!

8. Army Headquarters: In 1861 Emory shut down because of the civil war and reopened as a hospital and Union Army headquarters in 1863. Parts of the school were destroyed as a result of the Civil War.

9. Coca-Cola and Emory: Asa Griggs Candler, the founder of the Coca-Cola Company, gave Emory large chunks of land for its new campus in 1915, and it is now unofficially considered poor school spirit to drink any other soda on campus.

10. Emory and South Korea: Yun Chi-ho the first international student to graduate from Emory University wrote the Republic of Korea’s national anthem!

Interested in applying to Emory? Find out how to get in by looking at profiles from admitted students, featuring their essays, scores, grades, and more. If you’re already in college, sign up now to earn money and automatically enter to win our scholarship!

aroada
Emory

Accepted to Emory, Duke, Rice, UMD

First-year student with interest in anthropology, sociology and neuroscience
jessiemoore14
Emory

Accepted to RIT, RPI, Emory, Siena, Penn State, Bryn Mawr, MSMC , Drexel, WPI, Florida Tech

Born and raised in San Juan, Atlanta bound.
stephanie_ilen…
Emory

Accepted to Emory, UCF, Florida, Miami, American

Born and raised in Florida attending college in Georgia.
rkshres
Emory

Accepted to Emory

Pragmatic, Determined, Passionate