10 Fun Facts about the University of Cincinnati

Did you know that the Easy-Bake Oven and the Golden Gate Bridge both connect in Cincinnati? Specifically, at the University of Cincinnati, where both the inventor of the Easy-Bake oven and the engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge went to college. Here are 10 other fun facts that you probably didn’t know about UC:

1. UC is the largest employer in the Cincinnati region, with an economic impact of more than $3 billion. UC’s benefits package includes medical and dental coverage, as well as Long-Term Disability, Employee and Dependent Life Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, and Long-Term Care Insurance.

2. The Princeton Review ranks the University of Cincinnati’s Lindner College of Business a “Best Business School” in the 2015 edition.

3. In 1906, the University of Cincinnati created the first cooperative education program in the world. Cooperative education (co-op) is a method of combining classroom education with actual work experience.

4. Mick and Mack, the two stone lions which adorn the entrance of McMicken Hall, were a gift to the University of Cincinnati in 1904. Over the decades, the lions have been painted by students from rival universities before athletic events and have also figured in numerous campus pranks. If you happen to see lipstick on them, it is because some students still kiss them for good luck.

5. Since its construction in 1937, the clock tower atop the Tangeman University Center (TUC) has been an iconic landmark on UC’s campus. In fact, it is so recognizable that it is one of the two images that appear on the University of Cincinnati’s class rings (the other image being the C-Paw). Each day at noon and again at 6:00 p.m., the chimes from the clock tower proudly play UC’s Alma Mater for all to hear.

6. The first antihistamine, Benadryl, was invented by George Rieveschl, a UC graduate and researcher.

7. The Tangeman University Center, UC’s student union, was built in 1935, and still functions as one of the best spots on campus. It even has a 200-seat movie theater, something that very few student unions can claim.

8. Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on the moon, taught aerospace engineering at UC from 1971-80.

9. William Howard Taft, 1880 alumnus and dean of the law school, was the only man to serve as both U.S. president and chief justice.

10. U.S. News & World Report ranks UC’s graduate program in design at sixth in the nation.  DAAP is consistently ranked as one of the most prestigious design schools in the U.S. and the world. The University of Cincinnati was also the only public school listed in I.D. Magazine’s list of the top ten design schools worldwide.

Are you looking to apply to Cincinnati or just starting to build out your college list? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!