10 Fun Facts about the University of Rochester

Located in Rochester, NY, University of Rochester houses a lot of interesting secrets you may not know. Want to know what they are? Find out from these 10 fun facts about UR. 

1. University of Rochester have a lot of loyal alumni. In fact, 18 of their athletic coaches are Rochester alumni.

2. Quidditch has also invaded the Rochester campus, and there’s a full Quidditch team that competes in the World Cup of the International Quidditch Association.

3. Remember the Yellowjackets from NBC’s The Sing-Off? They are University of Rochester’s a capella ensemble.

4. While University of Rochester’s athletic programs aren’t world famous, they have won 4 team national championships in soccer, basketball and cross country.

5. Rochester’s has a super green campus that supports sustainability initiatives including dripless shower faucets, locally grown food and solar-powered recycling compactors.

6. Can’t say we know why, but University of Rochester’s Omega Laser Facility is home to two of the world’s most powerful high-energy and high-intensity lasers.

7. University of Rochester only has one Division I sport team and it’s their Squash team.

8. Did you know University of Rochester is the 6th largest employer in the state of NY?!

9. There’s a shocking number of students who attend UR with the intent to study pre-med. Apparently, 75% of the freshmen class are all pre-med!

10. Like many other old universities, University of Rochester also have legendary tunnels that connect the building on the academic quad.

Are you looking to apply to University of Rochester or just starting to build out your college list? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

amandabmartin
Rochester ‘22

Accepted to Rochester, Brandeis, Binghamton, SUNY Oswego, Hobart, Richmond, Dickinson, Union, SUNY Geneseo

Academically curious college student
sunny_yanyijia…
Rochester ‘15

Accepted to Bryn Mawr, UChicago, Emory, Cornell, Notre Dame, NYU, Swarthmore, Vassar, Williams, Tulane, Rochester

Master student in Painting - School of La Cambre, Brussels
ezrajporter
Rochester ‘16

Accepted to Rochester, Case, UMich

College junior trying to work in public policy. Ultimate frisbee in my free time
Rochester103804
Rochester ‘18

Accepted to Missouri, Indiana, BU, Richmond, Rochester

Studying psych and english.