10 Fun Facts You Didn’t Know About UT Austin

1. The Albino Squirrel 

Legend has it that if you happen to see a one of the famous ‘albino squirrels’ on your way to take an exam, you’ll ace it!

albino squirrel

2. Big Bertha

The famous Big Bertha drum weighs in at over 500 pounds, measures eight feet in diameter, and is almost a century old.

3. The University Library 

The University Library holds close to 10 million volumes, making it the 7th largest college library in the country.

4. Littlefield Fountain

The very beautiful Littlefield Fountain, located on the South Mall, was built to commemorate UT students and alumni who died during World War I.

5. Smokey The Cannon

Smokey The Cannon was built in 1953 and is shot every time the school’s football team, the Longhorns, score a touchdown. It gets fired a lot!

6. Celebrity Alumni

Quite a few famous celebrities are former UT students, including Mathew McConahey, Kevin Durant and Ricky Williams!

Matthew Mcconaughey 

7. Hook ‘em Horns 

The Hook ‘em Horns hand signal was introduced at 1955 during a pep rally, by head cheerleader at the time Harley Clark Jr. The hand signal was later recognized as Top College Hand Signal by Sports Illustrated.

8. Orange and White

The colors orange and white first appeared in the 1880s. At baseball games, student fans would wear ribbons in their lapels to indicate which team they were cheering for. In 1885, UT Austin (just two years old) was scheduled to play their first big game against Southwestern University. Students rushed to a local store to pick up ribbons for the crowd. Legend has it, the store keeper suggested white and orange because he had a lot of those colors on hand (he kept a lot of white on hand for weddings, and orange was just not selling). The students bought it up and somehow the colors stuck!

9. Bevo

UT’s mascot, Bevo, earned its name during 1915 when the Aggies won 13-0 during a football match up. Thrilled, the Longhorns changed the 13 to a B, the hyphen to an E and added a V before the 0. The result? Bevo.

10. School Song

The original school song was “Jolly Students of the Varsity” written by John Lang Sinclair and Lewis Johnson. But a year later, a different song entitled “The Eye of Texas,” was written, which has been the school’s song ever since.

Do you attend UT Austin? If so, sign up and get paid for sharing your old college application essays! If you’re interested in becoming a Longhorn, stop by to see all of our admitted profiles, which include essays, scores, grades, advice, and more!

g.loredo

Accepted to UC Davis, UCSD, UT Austin, UT San Antonio, Texas A&M

I got a full scholarship to my school that includes books, housing, and food.
melinamyp

Accepted to UT Austin, St. Mary's Minn, UT San Antonio, Texas A&M

I'm a double major in Textiles & Apparel Design and Merchandising and Consumer Sciences, with a minor in business at UT Austin.
UT Austin59805

Accepted to UT Austin, UTDallas, Texas State, SUNY Buffalo

I am currently a junior at The University of Texas at Austin. My major is speech-language pathology.
tawatson
NC State ‘16

Accepted to NC State, UT Austin, GA Tech

I am a student at NC State studying Electrical Engineering.

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...