The 10 Stages Of Waiting For College Decisions

Nothing feels more like a judgment of who you are as a person and what you’ve accomplished than college admissions results. As you oscillate between crushing self-doubt and steeled confidence about how your application stacks up against others , take comfort in that everyone is riding this crazy roller coaster of emotions right alongside you Here are the 10 inevitable stages of waiting for college decisions.

1. People ask how you’re feeling, and you feign not caring.

“I feel relaxed. There’s no point in worrying.”

2. But the more you hear about others’ acceptances, the more nervous you get.

“I have nothing to worry about. My acceptances are coming. They’re coming… right???!”

3. Paranoia creeps in.

“What if my recommendation letter got lost in the shuffle? What if my application isn’t even complete? AND I DON’T EVEN KNOW?!”

4. Not knowing keeps you up at night.

“Yes, doctor, I have a bad case of insomnia because my whole life is at stake.”

5. The pressure builds to a point you need to remind yourself to breathe.

“In… Out… In… Out… In… ARGHH, I lost count!”

6. You want to know, but you also don’t want to know.

“Can I skip school today, mom? I can’t get out of bed. I’m paralyzed. With fear.”

7. The mere mention of college decisions sends you into an emotional death spiral.

“Stop asking me questions!!! I. DON’T. KNOW!!!!”

8. Then your first e-mail comes in. You play it cool.

“You got this. It’s no big deal. Your entire life is just a click away.”

9. You pump yourself up for the big reveal, but you have a few false starts.

“Yeah, I’m ready. I’m ready. NOPE. NOT READY.”

10. Wait, is that a “CONGRATULATIONS!” you read?!?!?!? Dance, baby, dance.

FINALLY, it’s your turn to share your success story! #classof2022 #collegebound!

Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in applying to your school better understand the application process. Plus, it’s a great way to earn extra money as a college student! What are you waiting for?

michellezhang
Northwestern

Accepted to Northwestern, Dartmouth, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Rice, UMich, USC

Aspiring entrepreneur interested in computer science, health, and sustainability; applied to college as an econ/environmental science major.
abbyyys18
Babson

Accepted to Babson, BU, Bentley, Northeastern, Holy Cross, Skidmore, Fordham, Muhlenberg, Whitman, Whittier , F&M

An international student interested in business management. I'm not an outstanding student but I got into my preferred schools; find out how!
mm0222
Cornell

Accepted to Cornell, BC, BU, UMich

Global and Public Health Sciences major at Cornell University
yujin2023

Accepted to Brown, Amherst, Duke, Emory, Santa Clara, USC, Pacific, Vanderbilt, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSB, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine

Nature lover, STEM nerd. Will likely be late because of who I am as a person.