The 10 Stages Of Waiting For College Decisions

Nothing feels more like a judgment of who you are as a person and what you’ve accomplished than college admissions results. As you oscillate between crushing self-doubt and steeled confidence about how your application stacks up against others , take comfort in that everyone is riding this crazy roller coaster of emotions right alongside you Here are the 10 inevitable stages of waiting for college decisions.

1. People ask how you’re feeling, and you feign not caring.

“I feel relaxed. There’s no point in worrying.”

2. But the more you hear about others’ acceptances, the more nervous you get.

“I have nothing to worry about. My acceptances are coming. They’re coming… right???!”

3. Paranoia creeps in.

“What if my recommendation letter got lost in the shuffle? What if my application isn’t even complete? AND I DON’T EVEN KNOW?!”

4. Not knowing keeps you up at night.

“Yes, doctor, I have a bad case of insomnia because my whole life is at stake.”

5. The pressure builds to a point you need to remind yourself to breathe.

“In… Out… In… Out… In… ARGHH, I lost count!”

6. You want to know, but you also don’t want to know.

“Can I skip school today, mom? I can’t get out of bed. I’m paralyzed. With fear.”

7. The mere mention of college decisions sends you into an emotional death spiral.

“Stop asking me questions!!! I. DON’T. KNOW!!!!”

8. Then your first e-mail comes in. You play it cool.

“You got this. It’s no big deal. Your entire life is just a click away.”

9. You pump yourself up for the big reveal, but you have a few false starts.

“Yeah, I’m ready. I’m ready. NOPE. NOT READY.”

10. Wait, is that a “CONGRATULATIONS!” you read?!?!?!? Dance, baby, dance.

FINALLY, it’s your turn to share your success story! #classof2021 #collegebound!

Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in applying to your school better understand the application process. Plus, it’s a great way to earn extra money as a college student! What are you waiting for?

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...