10 Signs You’re Secretly a Nerd

I don’t know how to program. I only know three digits of pi. I don’t play video games (what is League of Legends anyways?) and I’m at best mediocre at math. But I’m most definitely a nerd. Here are ten surefire signs of nerdom from an unconventional nerd:

1. You like books more than you like people

How can your friends expect you to hang out when you are in the middle of reading a Murakami novel? In all seriousness, though, books are probably your most sacred possessions. Lending a book to a friend is the ultimate sign of trust. You die a little on the inside when the book is returned with a crease on the cover.

2. You take great joy in questioning everything

What is beauty? What is life? If the universe is forever expanding, what is it expanding into? You could debate any of these topics for hours without getting even remotely bored.

3. Chemistry jokes are endlessly funny to you

...and you won’t apologize for making bad ones, because, let’s face it, all of the good ones Argon.

4. You’re very particular about the TV shows you watch 

...and you shamelessly impose your favorites upon others. You’ve never seen Orphan Black? Who are you? On a side note, reality TV is the worst. Except for maybe Survivor. Okay, Survivor’s definitely good. And maybe even The Bachelor.

5. You secretly love reading your World History textbook

And watching those CrashCourse YouTube videos. There’s so much to learn! The Mongols, the French Revolution, King Henry VII shenanigans—the possibilities are endless.

6. The smell of bookstores is figuratively (not literally) heaven

Paper + coffee = ten thousand yeses. You would live in Barnes and Nobles if it were possible. I mean, who can resist wonderful scents and endless shelves of books?

7. You always Google the lyrics to songs

How can anyone stand not knowing? Good lyrics are literally (yes, literally) music to your ears. You have to constantly remind others that you listen to indie music not because you’re a hipster, but because the lyrics are just much better those of pop music.

8. You find SAT vocab questions very entertaining

You even downloaded the SAT question of the day app so that you could indulge a little every day. You take great pride in knowing the difference between “invoke” and “evoke.”

9. Incorrect grammar usage irks you

...especially when it’s of the “I”/”me” sort. Hearing “me and Tony went to the park yesterday” (or even worse, “a rabid dog bit Tony and I at the park”) is like nails on chalkboard. You usually suppress your corrections, but sometimes you just can’t resist.

10. You love unconventional games and logic puzzles

Settlers of Catan and Munchkin are your jam. The longer the instruction manual, the better. You still don’t understand why you’re always the one playing enthusiastically while the rest of your friends are falling asleep.

ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!

Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?
Early Decision: Should You Apply ED?

As we get closer to the fall, many rising seniors are wondering, “Should I apply Early Decision?” One of our interns, Anita, recalls her decision to apply ED to University of Pennsylvania, why she did...

4 Tips to Manage Work Life Balance in High School

Adults might be surprised, but high school students also find it difficult to juggle a good work life balance.We’ve all been there. You’ve had to cancel your plan with your friends because...