10 Study Foods to Keep You Focused and Healthy

Though it may be enticing to pick up that box of candy, pack of oreos, or soda, there are foods you can eat while studying that will offer your brain key nutrients to improve your studying and health. Here are ten easy study foods you can eat anytime to give your brain a boost!

1. Blueberries are a great brain food and can be help combat oxidative stress. Over the long term, blueberries can also protect against brain conditions, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Blueberries also contain minerals like potassium, manganese, zinc, and copper which work to regulate blood pressure and heart rate.

2. Avocados, though high in calories, are a great fruit that will help you lower your blood pressure. Not only that, but 2007 study conducted in the Seminars Journal also discovered that avocados can fight against the development of cancer cells. In other words, guac is an awesome study snack you should always have. 

3. Though disputed, caffeine in moderation can be good for you to consume to help you focus. The natural adenosine in your body, produced by neurons in your brain, tells your body whether or not its tired, and caffeine helps to prevent that! So, it’s not completely harmful to your body and is a good and (potentially) natural way to energize. 

4. Nuts and seeds are great snacking foods on their own, but are even better when you mix them into a large variety of foods. They are also known to have considerable amounts of antioxidants and Vitamin E that can help prevent an array of brain conditions associated with memory loss. Cashews, almonds, and walnuts are some great go-to choices, so next time you have to study for memorization-heavy subjects like Biology, make sure you grab some for your study session!

5. Whole grain foods are an umbrella term for grain foods which still have the entire grain kernel and haven’t had the bran, germ, or endosperm removed through milling. These foods are similar to the avocado, as they too, can help to maintain a steady low blood pressure. Whole cornmeal, oatmeal, brown rice, whole-wheat flour, etc. Sure, they might sound boring, but whole grains are good for you and can taste great when eaten the right way.

6. Pumpkin seeds are another easy delicious snack that also has great health benefits. Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc, which has been attributed to positive correlations with learning and memory. According to a research report conducted at the University of Toronto in 2011, there was significant evidence showing how zinc significantly affects the way neurons communicate with each other. Though we must warn you, after about a bag of these, you’ll start feeling like a little chipmunk. 

7. Kale and other leafy green vegetables are chock-full of antioxidants that can help to protect your brain against harmful toxins. Kale is also a great source of a multitude of vitamins, namely Vitamin C. In fact, one cup of kale has more Vitamin C than one whole orange. Kale, being one of the world’s best natural sources of Vitamin K, can also help to prevent heart disease. Hopefully you’re sold on the many virtues of kale - and if you don’t love the taste of straight up kale, buy some kale chips!

8. Carrots and other foods rich in beta carotene (broccoli, potatoes, peppers, and leafy greens) make a great snack, as beta carotene is an antioxidant which, like blueberries, inhibits the development of oxidative stress and age related cognitive declines. Beta carotene has also been specifically linked to efficiency with verbal memory. You remember how smart bugs bunny was, right?

9. Bananas are a tasty fruit which can be eaten in a variety of ways and it also has essential nutritional value for the brain. High in potassium, eating bananas helps send more oxygen to the brain due. Bananas can also relieve stress because of their abundance of vitamin B, which shields the myelin sheath (“insulation” for your nerves.)

10. Glucose, or sugar from fruits, juices, honey, is vital food for your brain. In order for your brain to function, your brain needs a consistent, steady level of glucose to be contained for proper functioning. When your brain lacks substantial glucose, your brain may be susceptible to impaired of attention, memory, and learning abilities. So next time you study, grab a fruit on your way, which has this natural glucose your brain depends on, but don’t OD on candies with artificial sugar!

Now that you got the best snacks, make sure you read these 10 study hacks that will change your life!

If you’re just starting the application process, search through essays, stats, and advice answers from thousands of students that got in. Chat with a mentor to get personalized help with your college essays and applications. 

BGrove
Duke

Accepted to Duke, UT Austin, GA Tech, Washington, Arizona

I am a normal person: I promise. I am a big sports fan who will be attending Duke to watch basketball (and hopefully graduate with an economics degree).
kPurl
MIT

Accepted to MIT, CalTech, UNC, Duke, Stanford, Harvard, UPenn

A hardworking student whose applications demonstrated my interest in STEM.
UMich

ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!