10 Tech Gadgets Every Student Needs

Today’s market is saturated with every kind of technological gizmo imaginable, and it can be tough for high school and college students alike to discern what’s actually useful. AdmitSee intern Andy, a student at the William Penn Charter School, lists 10 tech gadgets that are very useful for students, both for academics and for life in general.

1. Some sort of fitness tracker band 

Whether it be Jawbone’s UP24, the Fitbit, or Nike’s Fuel Band, you’re definitely going to want to impress your friends, parents, and significant other by showing off how much you’ve walked around campus and how many calories you’ve burned going from your dorm to the dining hall (and then occasionally, out to other places,  like class ;) ). From personal experience, I recommend the UP24 band: the system is  very easy to use and the band looks very professional compared to other, clunky-looking options.

2. Smartphone

Let’s face it. Even your parents know how to text these days. If you still have a flip phone, the 90’s and early 2000’s are definitely calling you right now as you read this post: they want their phone back! What with the newly released iPhone 6 hot in the market and the Nexus 6 scheduled for release in November, I highly suggest you get some sort of smartphone: Trust me, your life will be so much better.

Apple iPhone 5c
Apple iPhone 5c

3. E-reader or tablet

Who wants to carry 50 lbs of textbooks in their bag? If your professors or teachers allow it, you should opt for an e-version of all your course books. Your back (and bank account—ebooks are cheaper than hardbound books!) will thank you.

4. Laptop

Taking paper notes is slow, and almost all professors require assignments to be word processed nowadays, anyways. Nuff’ Said.

5. Spotify Premium

It’s not necessarily a tech gadget but if you’re like me, you can’t study in absolute silence. So please, do yourself some good by getting Spotify premium—having unlimited, uninterrupted music available at your fingertips 24/7 is definitely worth the nominal monthly fee.

6. Google Glass (if you can afford it)

Google Glass will revolutionize your world… if you can afford it. And if you can afford the $1,500 price tag, it’s so, so worth it. Details in the link below.

Google Glass
Google Glass

7. Bluetooth tracking device for your keys, wallet, etc

How many times have you lost your ID card, wallet, keys somewhere in your house or dorm? You can now get a thin, easily movable bluetooth tracker, like the Button trackr or the wallet trackr, which easily clips on to keys or your wallet and allows you to locate them via the smartphone you bought back in number 2. Nobody wants to be the kid who loses the lanyard with his keys and ID during the 2nd week of school!

8. Power Bank

With the terrible battery life of smartphones, you should definitely purchase a power bank of some sort to keep all your electronics charged. I keep a 12,000 mAh power bank with me at all times in case my iPhone goes dead while riding the subway.

9. DSLR (if you’re into photography)

If you like photography, you should opt to purchase a DSLR. While smartphone cameras may be good and certainly convenient, a top-notch DSLRs will always come out on top when it comes to pure photographic quality. 

Nikon DSLR
Nikon DSLR

10. Alarm clock

For those days where you wish the snooze button stopped time. You can easily set an alarm on your smartphone, as the article below describes. I recommend investing in a secondary, old-school battery-operated alarm as well, however—and placing it somewhere far away from your bed. When you’re up studying until 4am for a 9am midterm, sometimes one alarm just isn’t enough.

Keep Reading

ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!

Here to mentor and guide you!

Hello! I'm a Freshman at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. I plan on concentrating in finance, marketing and social impact. In high school I was active in LGBTQ advocacy and music. I can help with any questions you have about admissions

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...