18 Signs You Took High School Way Too Seriously

You worked night and day to get into your dream school, believing that your high school career was the most important thing in the world. When your parents and friends told you to relax and take a breather, you never understood why. Does that sound like you? If so, you’ll probably recognize these signs:

1. Getting an A- is the end of the world.

Don’t even bother convincing me it’s okay.

2. You didn’t know what life was like outside honor roll.

3. School nights are sacred.

4. And you believed weekends were created for you to get ahead on homework.

5. Dating was a waste of time and a distraction you couldn’t afford.

6. Group projects are the worst, because everyone assumes you’ll do all the work.

7. Which is true, so you rather be grouped with people who don’t even try.

8. If you weren’t the president of every club in high school, you were at least on the executive board.

9. In fact, you wish Hermione’s time turner was real, so you don’t have to rush to all your commitments.

10. You didn’t get home till 8PM every day, just in time for all the homework you needed to finish.

11. You even ate dinner in the car after varsity practice ended to save time.

12. You feel super guilty about procrastinating on social media for 30 minutes.

13. Teachers stopped calling on you in class to give others a chance.

14. But when it comes to student responsibilities, you’re always the chosen one.

15. No matter how much you study, you still have a breakdown before every test. 

16. And claim that you didn’t study enough, and you’re going to fail.

17. But of course, you get an A.

18. ...and then college happened!

We know you’re still getting a 4.0 GPA, but it just doesn’t matter to you as much as it used to!

Access 60,000+ successful college application files uploaded by college students (they get paid when you view them). AdmitSee is a community of students helping students. Our goal is to bring much-needed transparency to higher education. 

aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
clovescirrus

Accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Rice, JHU, UVA, UMD, CMU, Vanderbilt

Princeton class of 2020, choir nerd, lover of language. Writing is my favorite thing to do, and I'd love to help you brainstorm/write/revise.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...