3 Reasons To Consider Pursuing a Double Major

A recent trend indicates that double majors are on the rise, and for good reason. Studies have indicated that double major graduates can potentially earn up 3.2 percent more than single degree graduates. If you like two majors but can’t decide which one to choose, why not consider them both? Check out three reasons you should consider a double major.

1. Both Majors Offer Related Courses

If you’re considering two different major programs, it can make sense if both programs have courses that are related. For example, if a degree in Marketing requires the same five core courses as a degree in Entrepreneurship, you can easily receive two degrees for the price of one. You can also be strategic about choosing your electives. Many electives are listed under multiple majors. Double majoring in these cases may be feasible while still allowing you to graduate on time within four years. Additionally, some schools understand the need to have complementary degrees in specific fields and will create programs that reward you with dual degrees, such as a dual degree in Business and Engineering.

2. Double Majors Are More Desirable

Taking on a double major means the opportunity to expand skills. That’s because an interdisciplinary focus aids in the creation of a multifaceted skill set while also enabling self-expression. Double majors also are used as a strategic competitive advantage for graduate school or jobs. For example, foreign languages often serve as popular choices for second majors. Knowing another language can make you stand out as an attractive job candidate, especially if it’s an Asian-based or Middle Eastern language. 

3. There’s A Higher Financial Upside

More majors can mean more pay. The 2012 Teagle Report found that as much as a 3.2 percent salary difference between single majors and double majors based on the selection of academic disciplines. For example, the study found that the most common dual degree combinations included:

These popular combinations reflect social change or practical business skills that can yield higher returns than majors that are more creative or art-focused.

• Two different business majors

• International studies and foreign language

• Political Science and foreign language

• Economics and mathematics

• Economics and political science

Final Thoughts

Double majors can provide benefits beyond graduation, including additional pay and more marketable skills. If you’re dedicated to completing two programs with similar courses, then it may be time to consider a double major. Pursuing a minor is also a valuable alternative to a double major, especially if you’re short on funds or time to fulfill several requirements. Whichever option you choose, consult with your college advisor to ensure you’re following the correct degree path that will help achieve your goals.

Figuring out what to major can be a difficult process, but we’re here to help! Share your #admitstory with us and help others who are interested in your school better understand the application process. Plus, you get to cash out your $10 signup bonus and earn extra money for college! What are you waiting for?

rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!

Here to mentor and guide you!
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...