3 Reasons You Should Get an On-Campus Job

College students can be some of the biggest pocket spenders in the country. From getting their daily caffeine fix to socializing off-campus with friends, getting extra spending money doesn’t come easy. One way to do it is to find a part-time job as a student, whether that’s on or off-campus. Here are a few reasons we’re proponents of on-campus work to help pay for your educational expenses.

A Stone’s Throw Away

Most students live on campus nowadays, so finding a job that is walking distance from campus can be hard. Commuter students can experience terrible scheduling when it comes to jobs in various industries (like retail, restaurant, and more). Luckily, most schools provide on-campus job opportunities, and will allow you to easily schedule work into your class schedule. It’s not uncommon to hear students complain about how they are either late to work or late to class every week because their off campus job doesn’t allow them to create their schedule around their class schedule. You also don’t need to worry about getting into your car, or hopping onto a bus or train to get work. All you have to do is to stroll out of class, and within minutes, you’re at work.

Making Money

Getting a job will also do the obvious - give you the opportunity to earn money. And let’s be honest, every college student can use a bit of extra cash. That way, you won’t have to worry about constantly asking your parents for gas money, or a few extra bucks to hang out with friends. On top of that, getting an in campus job shows to your parents that you are becoming more dependent. Instead of nagging them to help out, you’re earning it on your own.

Professional Experience

On campus jobs will also help you be more prepared for the professional world. College is supposed to help students get their dream jobs and that is why student jobs are created. With student jobs, students can learn office behavior and office attire. Student jobs are more lenient than non-student jobs, allowing students to make mistakes and recover from them easily. At least when a student makes a mistake at an on-campus job, that student won’t make the same mistake at a professional job. And then, of course, there is the experience. Students can get the experience of multi-tasking, communication and more. With these experiences, students are more likely to get a job right out of college than those who do not have a job at all. So consider taking a on campus job at a newspaper, or the student government office instead of at Applebee’s. Although the pay rate may be less, the experience there will last you a lifetime.

Already a college student? Make sure to sign up now to earn money by uploading your college application materials, and automatically be entered to win the AdmitSee scholarship! If you’re applying to college, check out the various profile packages of admitted students, or search by school to find your dream school.

Stephanie Shyu
Stephanie Shyu

Steph is our founder and the most prolific consumer of Easy Mac™® within a 3-mile radius of our office. She attended Duke where she was a Div 1 fencer, then picked up a J.D. and a Wharton Certificate focusing on Entrepreneurial Studies from UPenn plus an LL.M. from the University of Hong Kong. She founded an educational charity in rural China and was once an aspiring journalist (as is clearly evident from this artfully crafted author bio). Named to Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list, she gives interviews and talks about startups and education – email her at steph@admitsee.com.

uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19