4 Non-Traditional Things You Should Consider When Applying to Jobs

As the founder of Beansprock, a job matching website, I get to help people find their best jobs based on their specific preferences. Students looking for their first job typically know what industry interests them and the job title they’d like. They might even know the exact companies they’d want to work for. But there are many other factors to consider when looking for your first job. Here are 4 factors that are regrettably overlooked by people early in their careers:

1. Company Size

Many students just assume bigger is better. Sure, having a good brand on your resume could help you get interviews down the road, and there’s often even a clear path for career advancement. But does bigger mean job security? No. At a smaller company, your work is much more valued and makes a greater impact to the company. You’ll be given more responsibility at a faster rate, and will also be offered a greater variety of projects to work on.

2. Skills

Everyone has something to offer. Our unique experiences and educations have prepared us to do things very well. Think about the skills you’ve picked up in college and the skills you want to use in your next job. If you’re not doing what you’re good at, it’s going to be difficult to feel fulfilled, even if every other factor seems perfect. Likewise, it’s also important to think about the skills you want to learn to shape your long-term career plans, and assess which jobs can provide those learning opportunities.

3. Coworkers

Have you spoken to any of the employees at the company you’re applying to? What are they like? This isn’t too different from what you did to find out whether a college is the right fit for you. Just like talking to college students at schools you’re interested in, you should do the same for the companies you’re looking to apply to. Some people are looking for coworkers who are fun and friendly while others may prefer smart and diverse. Whatever your preferences, it’s important that you have an idea of who your new coworkers would be. This is your new family.

4. Boss

For all jobs in your 20s, the goal should be learn, learn, and learn. Absorb as much as you possibly can. The best way to do that is through your boss. Having a smart, experienced boss who can act as a mentor is as important as anything for ensuring a long, successful career, at that employer or elsewhere.

The job search process isn’t too different from the college search. It’s more than just applying to the big names; it’s about finding what best suits your needs to thrive in. So, give these 4 factors some thought! You’ll be surprised to find how important they might be to you. In fact, let us know exactly how important they are to you in this survey! We want to know how these factors may impact your decision during your job hunt. Plus, you may get lucky and win $200!

Cameron Levy​, Guest Blogger
Cameron Levy​, Guest Blogger

Cameron Levy is the co-founder of Beansprock, which uses artificial intelligence to help people find their best jobs, based on both their role preferences and company preferences. Many graduating students, particularly, use Beansprock to help them identify great companies that they never knew existed.

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!

Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

I’m an Econ & Bio major who’s passionate about STEM, social issues, and design. As a transfer, I learned a lot from navigating this hectic process twice, and I’m excited to help!