5 Facts You Didn’t Know About Student Enrollment and Travel Patterns

The number of international students enrolled in the US has increased 72% since 2000, but what do we know about how mobile U.S. students are? Do they tend to stay local or attend school in a different state? How many want to study abroad? We teamed up with StudentUniverse, a student travel resource, to bring you this infographic.

To break down how far students travel even more, we examined AdmitSee’s exclusive data about specific states and found these takeaways:

• Students from Utah, Wisconsin, and California are the most likely to stay in-state. 70% of students from Utah don’t leave the state to attend college.

• Students from Hawaii, North Dakota, and Rhode Island were the most likely to head out of state. Only 8% of Hawaiians stayed in-state.

• Where do students go when they go out of state? Students from Hawaii prefer schools in California, while North Dakotans and Rhode Islanders prefer Massachusetts.

• The title of most popular overall state that students choose when they leave their home states goes to Massachusetts, followed by California and then Pennsylvania.

• Out-of-state enrollment just barely eked out a win over in-state enrollment: 50.4% of students on AdmitSee choose to go to school outside of their home state.

To read what students wrote about traveling, click here!

The in-state / out-of-state preference also has an economic impact on students’ budgets as well as on universities. According to Collegeboard, the average in-state tuition is $9,410 compared to the average out-of-state tuition of $23,893. That’s a pretty sizable gap for students with financial constraints. It also highlights one reason universities may be moving in the direction of admitting more international students who pay full tuition. Is it time to revamp the cost of higher education in the US? What do you think?

If you’re starting your college search and wondering where else to apply, search for your dream school and see where other accepted students got in. You can chat with a college student to get help with your applications and essays, and find out exactly how to get in.

Source: http://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/2015-trends-college-pricing-final-508.pdf

niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Senior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire