5 Facts You Didn’t Know About Student Enrollment and Travel Patterns

The number of international students enrolled in the US has increased 72% since 2000, but what do we know about how mobile U.S. students are? Do they tend to stay local or attend school in a different state? How many want to study abroad? We teamed up with StudentUniverse, a student travel resource, to bring you this infographic.

To break down how far students travel even more, we examined AdmitSee’s exclusive data about specific states and found these takeaways:

• Students from Utah, Wisconsin, and California are the most likely to stay in-state. 70% of students from Utah don’t leave the state to attend college.

• Students from Hawaii, North Dakota, and Rhode Island were the most likely to head out of state. Only 8% of Hawaiians stayed in-state.

• Where do students go when they go out of state? Students from Hawaii prefer schools in California, while North Dakotans and Rhode Islanders prefer Massachusetts.

• The title of most popular overall state that students choose when they leave their home states goes to Massachusetts, followed by California and then Pennsylvania.

• Out-of-state enrollment just barely eked out a win over in-state enrollment: 50.4% of students on AdmitSee choose to go to school outside of their home state.

To read what students wrote about traveling, click here!

The in-state / out-of-state preference also has an economic impact on students’ budgets as well as on universities. According to Collegeboard, the average in-state tuition is $9,410 compared to the average out-of-state tuition of $23,893. That’s a pretty sizable gap for students with financial constraints. It also highlights one reason universities may be moving in the direction of admitting more international students who pay full tuition. Is it time to revamp the cost of higher education in the US? What do you think?

If you’re starting your college search and wondering where else to apply, search for your dream school and see where other accepted students got in. You can chat with a college student to get help with your applications and essays, and find out exactly how to get in.

Source: http://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/2015-trends-college-pricing-final-508.pdf

Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!