5 Successful Georgetown Essay Introductions

Located in Washington D.C., Georgetown University is most well known for their School of Foreign Service. Though many students from this Top 25 school end up in politics and public policy (like Bill Clinton), Georgetown also has strong humanities and science programs. Wonder what it takes to catch the eye of an admissions officer at this Jesuit university? Take a look at the following essay intros from Georgetown students on AdmitSee:

Schai

Class of 2018

When I think of Dallas, Texas, I think of a cappella singing.

I think of sopranos in sweeping satin gowns, the rich vibrato of a baritone’s voice, and the neon glow of the Majestic Theater’s faithful marquee.

Chirpchess

Class of 2019

“You probably speak a different language at home cause your accent is still so strong”, my driving instructor casually said. We’d been talking about his other job while stranded in traffic, waiting for cars to slowly inch forward so I could get home. I hadn’t expected such a statement, yet I couldn’t justify the shock I was feeling, as I realized he’d said nothing wrong.

LunaXDC

Class of 2020

Since I was ten, I’ve been going to CampNameEditedOut every summer. As a kid, it was an amazing place to be. Nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains, surrounded by Pisgah Forest, it’s everything I love about my home state: good food, friendly people, and beautiful scenery. Like most campers, I was devastated at age 14 when it was my final summer as a camper. But after leaving camp, I had time to discover myself and my passions outside of my summer home: I went to Costa Rica and Peru and became interested in international development; I attended the Student Diversity Leadership Conference and found a deep passion for social justice; and I navigated high school without my best friend and became independent of a clique for the first time.

Syd22

Class of 2018

I was ten when I first saw the names. I had explored St. Paul’s School before, but had never noticed the small slab of concrete at the base of an outside wall, the names of some thirty students scattered across it. They had surreptitiously etched their names in the still-wet concrete about one hundred years ago, or so I was told, but almost every signature was still legible. They had been seniors at the time, and scratched their names before graduating to make their final mark on the school. Somehow, these names, quickly scrawled yet fixed forever, were more alive to me than any name I had seen in a history textbook.

Marmelade

Class of 2018

Everything always came in twos: two languages, two suitcases, two weeks’ vacation, two weeks’ shipping time after two moves here and two there, two concrete apartments stuck together under the hot sun of continent number two. Everything that didn’t come in twos came in threes: three passengers visiting three grandparents three plane rides away. Life was made of numbers.

Applying to college next year?
View the application files, essays and advice of accepted students.

​Are you looking to apply to Georgetown? Make sure to search through profiles of students accepted to see essays, stats, and advice. See how they got in, and how you can too!

jenee_a
Brown

Accepted to Brown, UPenn, Cornell, BU, UMass

Hey! I'm a neuroscience major on the premed track, PLME student, and I love to dance in my free time!
Rice

UMich

htownbrown
Stanford

Accepted to Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, UPenn, Pomona, Williams, Amherst, Claremont (CMC), Northwestern, Vanderbilt, USC, JHU, UC Berkeley, UT Austin, UNC, Tulane, UMich, Georgetown

An aspiring lawyer who wants to make a difference in the world.