7 Tips to Help You Get Better Sleep

sleep tips for high school and college students
Trouble getting to sleep at night? That’s what late night study sessions can do. But getting a good night’s sleep is extremely important to improve learning, focus, and general health. Here are a few tips to help you get more sleep:

1. Avoid all-nighters. Whether it’s for studying or for late night parties, this one is probably the most obvious tip to help you get more sleep. But beyond missing a night of sleep, it can throw off your sleep schedule and leave you struggling to focus. Speaking of routine…

2. Develop good habits. Every daily routine helps you feel normalized and healthy, so don’t treat sleep any differently. If you start to go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning, you’ll wake up feeling better and more energized.

3. No screens, please. Your brain actually reacts to bright lights, thinking that it’s time to be awake. Taking time to power down before you sleep can help your brain relax too. Turn off all your screens and devices prior to getting into bed and you’ll see better rest.

Applying to college next year?
View the application files, essays and advice of accepted students.

4. Exercise. Yes, it’s true. Getting exercise 3-4 times a week can lead to improved sleep, even if it’s just a 10 minute walk. Take the extra time and fit exercise into your schedule, and you’ll feel more rested when you wake up in the morning.

5. Stay stress free. Well, this one is harder to combat. But stress is a leading cause of tossing and turning and staying up late. Whether you meditate or focus on another activity to calm you down, de-stressing can really help you get to sleep more easily.

6. Limit liquids. Cutting out liquids after a certain time is a simple fix that will help you get through the night more easily. Regardless of whether it’s water, soda, or alcohol, limiting drinking late at night will limit your mid-night bathroom trips.

7. NAP! Surprisingly, a well-timed nap can wake you up and not ruin your sleep schedule. But it’s a fine line - napping for too long is not a good thing. 20-30 minutes is an ideal amount of midday rest.

Find these tips helpful? Create an account and access 60,000+ successful college application files uploaded by college students (they get paid when you view them). AdmitSee is a community of students helping students. Our goal is to bring much-needed transparency to higher education. 

Sources: Huffington Post, Huffington Post, Help Guide.

vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast
brianlinus1753

Accepted to Northwestern, UChicago, MIT, UNC

Kind of normal.. with average grades and African from kenya
lizolat

Accepted to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, JHU, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

Hello, my name is Elizabeth! I graduated from a public high school in Florida, and was accepted to all 11 colleges I applied to. I am now a student at Yale University studying bio!
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

UC Berkeley Class of 2020