A High School Senior’s Advice: SAT and SAT II

Wondering how your SAT prep compares to students at other schools? We asked our high school interns to share their standardized testing plans. Briane, a senior at Townsend Harris High School shares her strategy below!

I took my SAT twice now, in March and May. I do not plan on taking the ACT because I was pleased with my SAT score. To prepare for the test, I took an SAT course with Princeton Review that provided ten classes and four full-length practice tests. The practice tests were very beneficial in helping me get used to taking the test. It is worthwhile to take a practice test in one sitting before going to take the real exam. That way, you are not overwhelmed by having to sit for a four hour test for the first time. Additionally, I went to a private tutor who helped me solely with the math section, because that was where I had the most trouble. My tutor helped me improve my math score significantly. 

I took one of my SAT Subject Tests (World History) in June of my sophomore year. I also prepared over the summer for two more SAT Subject Tests in October. Despite my strong GPA and SAT score, I am concerned about making myself stand out from the other applicants. I am hoping to use my essay to do so! 

jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.
MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, JHU, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!
BrownDomer
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!