Hiring an Admissions Consultant: How it Helped me at UCLA

Sabrina, a freshman at  UCLA, shares her experience hiring a private college counselor!

I entered the college process completely lost. When my friends would ask me what my top choice school was I was utterly speechless as I really didn’t know what any of my choices were. I am the first child in my family so I knew I was on my own when it came to finding about different colleges. My college counselor at school was fine, but I felt that I was not receiving the attention I needed. To make this process easier, I decided it was in my best interest to hire a private college counselor in addition to the one assigned to me at school. 

Looking back on it, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. From proofreading my essays to letting me know about different programs at colleges, my private college counselor was my guardian angel during the chaos that is applying to college. Although her cost was very high ($4,000 for unlimited sessions), it was worth every penny. She helped inspire ideas for my essays and sharpen my writing. She was so educated on every college that she had the answers to all my questions and she also knew what they were looking for in applicants. She kept me on track with deadlines and most importantly made me feel a bit more relaxed. The individual attention was incredible and she was able to help me realize what schools would be the best fit for me. Overall, my private college counselor was most helpful to me by being a person I could talk to during a time of high stress. She understood my worries and did everything in her power to help me solve them. I would definitely recommend hiring a private counselor if you are not happy with the one assigned to you at school. I’m so glad I did!

To read more of Sabrina’s advice, visit her Admit Profile!

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
tifstar1997

Accepted to Cornell, CMU, Northwestern, JHU, UCSD, UCSB, UC Irvine

Cornell Engineering '19

yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, JHU, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State