Accepted to College? To Rush, or Not to Rush

The age-old question: To Rush or Not to Rush a Fraternity/Sorority. Lost and Scared? NUWildcat, a senior at Northwestern, shares her thoughts on the Greek system:

Want to go to Northwestern? Unlock NUWildcat's Admit Profile now!
Want to go to Northwestern? Unlock NUWildcat‘s Admit Profile now!

Rush and Greek life looks different at every school. At Northwestern, freshmen do not rush until their second quarter to allow time to get acquainted with college life and develop friendships outside your future organization before the process. There are a lot of stereotypes about the type of people that rush, but the best advice to give is you will never know until you try it. The process is usually a week long, and a lot of people drop out along the way because they discover it is not for them. But they are able to meet new people along the way, and often times learn a little bit more about who they are.

As an RA, I relived the rollercoaster of rush many times through my residents. There is always a lot of fear before the process because you’re unsure you will get the sorority/fraternity you want. It’s normal to be nervous, but make sure you’re being yourself. Not only will people usually see through the facade you’re putting up, but also you’ll only get into the sorority that’s truly the best fit for you if you are true to yourself in the process. I know multiple girls who ended up in the sorority they thought they wanted by trying to be someone they were not, and ended up unhappy because it wasn’t the fit for them.

If you’re not accepted into the sorority/fraternity you wanted, don’t be too hasty to drop out! There are a few weeks of activities with old and new members before you have to commit and during this time you may find you are happy in this organization regardless of your preconceived notions. You risk nothing by giving it a shot!

If you end up selecting to not be in a sorority/fraternity, I have great news – you can still have the best college experience! There are numerous other ways to be involved socially on campus! The first few weeks after rushing will feel as though your social life is over because pledging is all everyone can talk about, but I promise that excitement will simmer. Instead of focusing on feeling left out, allow your friends some space while they get to know their new Greek sisters/brothers and use that time to meet other non-greeks in your dorm or in your classes!

Find this helpful? Leave a comment and let us know!

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
Katherine…

Accepted to Middlebury, Duke, Claremont (CMC), Bates, Georgetown, UVM, Stanford, Bowdoin, Colgate, Tufts

I'm currently on a gap year before starting at Stanford in the fall. I would love to talk to anyone about taking a year off or the application process.
jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship