Accepted to College? To Rush, or Not to Rush

The age-old question: To Rush or Not to Rush a Fraternity/Sorority. Lost and Scared? NUWildcat, a senior at Northwestern, shares her thoughts on the Greek system:

Want to go to Northwestern? Unlock NUWildcat's Admit Profile now!
Want to go to Northwestern? Unlock NUWildcat‘s Admit Profile now!

Rush and Greek life looks different at every school. At Northwestern, freshmen do not rush until their second quarter to allow time to get acquainted with college life and develop friendships outside your future organization before the process. There are a lot of stereotypes about the type of people that rush, but the best advice to give is you will never know until you try it. The process is usually a week long, and a lot of people drop out along the way because they discover it is not for them. But they are able to meet new people along the way, and often times learn a little bit more about who they are.

As an RA, I relived the rollercoaster of rush many times through my residents. There is always a lot of fear before the process because you’re unsure you will get the sorority/fraternity you want. It’s normal to be nervous, but make sure you’re being yourself. Not only will people usually see through the facade you’re putting up, but also you’ll only get into the sorority that’s truly the best fit for you if you are true to yourself in the process. I know multiple girls who ended up in the sorority they thought they wanted by trying to be someone they were not, and ended up unhappy because it wasn’t the fit for them.

If you’re not accepted into the sorority/fraternity you wanted, don’t be too hasty to drop out! There are a few weeks of activities with old and new members before you have to commit and during this time you may find you are happy in this organization regardless of your preconceived notions. You risk nothing by giving it a shot!

If you end up selecting to not be in a sorority/fraternity, I have great news – you can still have the best college experience! There are numerous other ways to be involved socially on campus! The first few weeks after rushing will feel as though your social life is over because pledging is all everyone can talk about, but I promise that excitement will simmer. Instead of focusing on feeling left out, allow your friends some space while they get to know their new Greek sisters/brothers and use that time to meet other non-greeks in your dorm or in your classes!

Find this helpful? Leave a comment and let us know!

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...