Mastering the ACT: Early Preparation is Key!

When it comes to college admissions, SAT and ACT scores are hot topics. We asked some current high school students how they are preparing for these big tests, and what their advice to other high school students is. Abby is a junior at Duchesne High School in St. Louis, MO - here’s what she had to say:

I have had to take numerous standardized tests all throughout grade school and high school. Starting in second grade, we began taking ITBS tests (Iowa Tests of Basic Skills) once a year all the way through eighth grade. Freshman year of high school we took an ACT prep standardized test to gauge what our score might be on the ACT in the future. We took a similar ACT prep test sophomore year, as well, in the fall. In the spring we took an online test called Aspire that was also regarded as ACT Prep. Every standardized test I have taken, excluding the online Aspire one, was the normal fill in the bubble style formatting. The tests covered several subjects like math, science, English, reading, spelling, and cognitive ability quizzes. The online Aspire test had science, math, and reading, as well as a required typed essay in an allotted time. On top of all of the tests, my counselors have set up each student with a Naviance account, where I can take more online tests for practice as well as get help preparing for college.

I will be taking the ACT for the first time this summer. I believe all of the standardized tests I have taken in the past have really helped me prepare. Because I began testing so young, I am used to the format of standardized testing as well as the types of questions asked. The ACT prep tests I have been required to take in high school have been extremely helpful as well. They not only gave an accurate representation of the format of the ACT, but they also helped point out areas I needed to work on to get a higher score. My school is really big on helping students out with the ACT. The counselors work hard to make sure we are prepared as possible when we begin to take the actual tests.

Some friends from other schools have told me that they have never had to take ACT prep tests. I think that all students should have these tests available because they are so helpful. My score on the ACT will affect what colleges I can get into so I’m glad I have had as much practice as possible before taking it. The more you prepare, the better score you will get, and the more opportunities you will have in the future.

SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
VivienneEve23

Accepted to UC Berkeley, Brown, Claremont (CMC), Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Northwestern, Pomona, Stanford, San Diego, Vanderbilt, UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, Washington

Los Angeles kid attending UC Berkeley, Class of 2020! Planning on studying business or economics. Go Bears!
aebrennen

Accepted to Yale, UPenn, Davidson, UNC, UMich, Emory, Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, UKentucky, William & Mary, Miami OH, Vanderbilt

Passionate about education from the great state of Kentucky.
Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...