Admission Tips from a UPenn Freshman: The Essay

A lot of people applying to your dream school have strong GPAs, meaningful extracurriculars, and solid recommendations. So much of the college application is based on numbers and achievements and very concrete measurements, and there is nothing wrong with this. Colleges, first and foremost, want an intelligent, motivated, hard-working class. However, they are also looking for individuals who are interesting and unique. So, while it was your job to keep up your grades and be involved In activities for the last four years, now you have a totally different task: channeling your personality through writing.

Ok, I know there are a bunch of different potential essay topics, but there are certain all-encompassing ideas that you should remember no matter what you write about. 

1) Keep it Personal

This might sound simple, but applicants normally have a hard time relating stories and achievements to themselves. Often, you will find that the applicant has written a gorgeous essay detailing a life-changing experience or a project they completed, but it will tell you nothing about the person. You need to make an effort to explain the impact of situations on yourself. For example, clearly explain the lessons you learned, how it has changed you, and how you will use this experience in the future and work off that. Your goal is to clearly illustrate who you are as a person.

2) Don’t Sell Yourself Short

Often, I’d be editing some of my friends’ essays and notice that they do not give themselves nearly enough credit for their spectacular achievements. When I would ask them about this, they would explain that they did not want to come off as arrogant and instead took the humble approach. While humility is an important trait to have, your college essay is not the place for it. On the contrary, you should err on the side of “cockiness”. Remember, you are writing to admissions officers, so you must detail everything. In the next part of this series, I will give interview tips where it is important to not come off as an undesirably arrogant person, but go crazy in your essays!

For a list of some more solid tips, check out this USNews article.

I’ll see you all next week!

And most importantly, good luck in all your applications!

P.S: Use the referral code SEBI when you sign up for AdmitSee.com and get $10 credit!

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

Hello! I'm a Freshman at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. I plan on concentrating in finance, marketing and social impact. In high school I was active in LGBTQ advocacy and music. I can help with any questions you have about admissions
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...