Admission Tips from a Brown Freshman: Transferring

There are many reasons students decide to transfer. Some students will love their school when they are applying and be incredibly excited to get there, but then for whatever reason not have a good experience. Even with tours, information sessions, and overnight visits it’s hard to get the true sense of the school until you experience it yourself. Some students who decide to transfer never found a good friend group and just felt out of place at their school. Others were never excited about the school but didn’t have any other options after their original admissions process. It’s ok to plan ahead and think about transferring but you should still always start college with an open mind and try to make the best of your situation.

There are other more practical reasons for transferring. Some students realize they want to study a field that their original school does not offer a major in. Other times students may be unable to afford the high cost of an out-of-state school, and have to transfer back home to a public university.

The transfer admission process is even murkier than the admissions process out of high school… if that’s possible!

Every school has different requirements and different ways of looking at transfer applicants. For some, if they received good grades in their first year of college, it may be easier to get in as a transfer as they’ve shown they can succeed in college level coursework. For others, it’s harder, as there are far fewer spots for transfer students.

If you’re thinking about transferring, do some serious research and evaluate your options. Always try to be positive about your original school, and to enjoy your time there, as the transfer admission process might not work out for you. Best of luck!

P.S Use my invite code “Books” for an extra $10 when you create your AdmitSee profile!

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
littlegreentre…

Accepted to Cambridge, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.

Should You Take a Gap Year?
Should You Take a Gap Year?

Popular among high school students from the U.K. and Australia, gap years give you an opportunity to delay attending college for a year.  While gap years are as varied as the students who...

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...