Admission Tips from a Brown Freshman: Transferring

There are many reasons students decide to transfer. Some students will love their school when they are applying and be incredibly excited to get there, but then for whatever reason not have a good experience. Even with tours, information sessions, and overnight visits it’s hard to get the true sense of the school until you experience it yourself. Some students who decide to transfer never found a good friend group and just felt out of place at their school. Others were never excited about the school but didn’t have any other options after their original admissions process. It’s ok to plan ahead and think about transferring but you should still always start college with an open mind and try to make the best of your situation.

There are other more practical reasons for transferring. Some students realize they want to study a field that their original school does not offer a major in. Other times students may be unable to afford the high cost of an out-of-state school, and have to transfer back home to a public university.

The transfer admission process is even murkier than the admissions process out of high school… if that’s possible!

Every school has different requirements and different ways of looking at transfer applicants. For some, if they received good grades in their first year of college, it may be easier to get in as a transfer as they’ve shown they can succeed in college level coursework. For others, it’s harder, as there are far fewer spots for transfer students.

If you’re thinking about transferring, do some serious research and evaluate your options. Always try to be positive about your original school, and to enjoy your time there, as the transfer admission process might not work out for you. Best of luck!

P.S Use my invite code “Books” for an extra $10 when you create your AdmitSee profile!

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.
jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.

University of Notre Dame 2017-2018 Supplemental Essay Prompts

Interested in applying to the University of Notre Dame? Check out their supplemental essay prompts for this application season! University of Notre Dame is a catholic university located just adjacent to South Bend, Indiana. It...

What I'd Change About My College Applications
What I’d Change About My College Applications

Hindsight is always 20/20. That’s why it’s also important for college students to look back on their college application experience. They were in the same position you were just a year or two ago....

Williams College 2017-2018 Supplemental Essay Prompts

Located in Williamstown, MA, Williams College is ranked number 1 in liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Williams College is one of the most popular liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Being a liberal...