Admission Tips from a Duke Sophomore: Choosing between Duke and Berkeley

Where my parents went to school definitely affected my thought processes when deciding where to go to college, but did not affect the ultimate outcome. My father went to UC Berkeley which is where he wanted me to go. He would mention many good aspects of the school: why he liked it and, why he thought it would be  a good fit for me, etc. To be honest, he had many valid points and made my decision between Duke and Berkeley a very difficult one. 

I liked Berkeley because they have a very strong engineering program and had what I wanted to study (industrial and operational engineering). Not to mention it’s in San Francisco, possibly my favorite place in the world with fantastic weather.  On the other hand however, I had talked to friends who said it was close to impossible to get the courses they wanted because of the high demand and limited class spots.  Duke on the other hand, appealed to me because of its strong collegiate community. Because it is secluded and isolated in North Carolina, there is a very tight, community feel, which tends to be very spirited. Also, having a strong basketball team appealed to me because I love sports and environments that support them. I ultimately chose Duke despite my father’s influence on Berkeley because I knew that I would only go to college for 4 years and wanted the full collegiate experience. I knew that if I chose Berekely I would be choosing California over a school atmosphere, and decided that if I liked California that much, I could always live there after I graduate. 

Although my dad wanted me to go to Berkeley, I knew that he supported my decision unconditionally which I feel very fortunate about. For all of you high schoolers deciding right now about what school is better for you, use your GUT. When it comes to complicated decisions like choosing your college, definitely weigh out the pros and cons, but use your heart and intuition. Rather than choosing a school for your parents and regretting it afterwards, be brave and choose the school that you know is right for you.

To read this author’s application essays and other advice, unlock her full profile!

elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.
tngreen55593

Accepted to Georgetown, UT Austin, Texas Christian, Texas A&M, Richmond, Pepperdine

A hard worker that is living the dream.
littlegreentre…

Accepted to Cambridge, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic
brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...