Admission Tips from a UPenn Junior: Early Application

It is very important to apply early decision.  According to the college counselor at the prep school I attended, close to 80% of the senior class now applies early. Today it seems that the process of looking for a college starts as early as freshmen year, so by senior year you have a clear picture of the school you would like to attend. High school should be view as a three year experience, by the end of junior year, have the SAT completed, be an AP Scholar and have grades where you want them. Then you are in a position to apply early. It gets you in the process early and puts you on the radar of the school you are hoping to attend. I did and I was deferred.  While initially I was disappointed, I was elated to know that the school would give me another chance.

I ran with that chance. I ask my college counselor regularly what I needed to do to change that “deferred” into an “acceptance”.  He gave me great advice, to stay in contact with the regional director from the school and get my grades up.  I made sure I worked harder in the next month than I had ever worked. I received A’s in all subjects. It is prudent that in order for the admissions committee to give my candidacy the fullest consideration – additional information should be submitted.  I sent them two letters reiterating my success in grades and my continued desire to attend their college.

Schools prefer students who prefer them and I made sure I let them know I prefer them! I let them know that I did not submit any Early Decision II application to any other college.

It definitely gives you an advantage and ultimately the deferred was turned into an acceptance!

If you found this post useful, use my code DREWB at signup—you’ll get a bonus and I’ll get a referral credit!

Hi! I'm an incoming sophomore transfer at Williams who's passionate about technology, STEM education, social justice, and design. I've learned a thing or two after navigating this hectic process twice now, and would love to help guide others through it!

niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
kltaylor96

Accepted to Duke, Northwestern, Elon , William & Mary, Centre, Campbell

I am someone who always shoots for the moon so that if I miss, I will land among the stars.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...