Admission Tips from a USC Junior: Look into the Majors Offered

David is one of our interns and a junior at USC.  Here is what he had to say about choosing the right school for you!

When I chose to attend the University of Southern California I made sure to consider a variety of different factors. Not only was I looking at universities that were ranked high for my major, I was also looking ahead to see what minors were offered. It’s important to plan ahead and make sure your university will offer minors that compliment your major and fit your interests. 

Location should also be an important part of your decision, especially when you are entering a field that is largely dependent on how you leverage your network. For example, if you plan to work in the entertainment business you would most likely want to either attend a school in Los Angeles or New York. At these locations you’ll meet other students and industry contacts to create a powerful network.

As a Business Administration major with an interest in entertainment, I was choosing between the University of Southern California and the University of California Los Angeles. Both schools have strong connections to entertainment and are located in Los Angeles—UCLA is closer to Hollywood. However, they don’t have a separate business school for undergrads. At USC’s Marshall School of Business undergraduates are given a diverse curriculum with classes in Accounting, Finance, and Marketing. For me, that made all the difference.

To view David’s admissions essays and other advice, visit his Admit profile here!

extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...