Admission Tips from a USC Junior: Look into the Majors Offered

David is one of our interns and a junior at USC.  Here is what he had to say about choosing the right school for you!

When I chose to attend the University of Southern California I made sure to consider a variety of different factors. Not only was I looking at universities that were ranked high for my major, I was also looking ahead to see what minors were offered. It’s important to plan ahead and make sure your university will offer minors that compliment your major and fit your interests. 

Location should also be an important part of your decision, especially when you are entering a field that is largely dependent on how you leverage your network. For example, if you plan to work in the entertainment business you would most likely want to either attend a school in Los Angeles or New York. At these locations you’ll meet other students and industry contacts to create a powerful network.

As a Business Administration major with an interest in entertainment, I was choosing between the University of Southern California and the University of California Los Angeles. Both schools have strong connections to entertainment and are located in Los Angeles—UCLA is closer to Hollywood. However, they don’t have a separate business school for undergrads. At USC’s Marshall School of Business undergraduates are given a diverse curriculum with classes in Accounting, Finance, and Marketing. For me, that made all the difference.

To view David’s admissions essays and other advice, visit his Admit profile here!

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...

Introduction to College Grading Curves
Introduction to College Grading Curves

98% accuracy may not be a realistic goal in college; luckily, professors may use curves to save your 68% from destroying your GPA. As a high school student, you are probably accustomed to raw scores being final...

What to Ask on a College Tour
What to Ask on a College Tour

Touring colleges is a quintessential high school experience, and a great opportunity to learn about prospective schools. ​Every college student is able to recognize the starry-eyed high schoolers who swarm campus regularly to explore and...