Admissions Tips from a Freshman at Brown: Why I hired a college admissions consultant

When I was deferred from my early decision school, to say my parents freaked out would be an understatement. There were three weeks until the regular decision deadline, and, as a result of my overconfidence, I had not started a single supplement. In addition, my school counselor was about to leave on winter vacation. Needless to say, I was not in a good position.

A friend of my parents referred them to a company, Aristotle Circle. They paired me with college admissions consultant Pam, in Vero Beach, Florida. The consultant helped me revise my list of schools to apply to, and then helped me make a word document with all the essays and short answer questions I would have to complete (which is a good idea for anyone to do). She then helped me revise and edit my essays. She also helped me tailor my resume to my goals for college and beyond to create a “hook.” 

I found having a counselor tremendously helpful for the limited amount of time I had. It’s not necessary for everyone, though, and a site like AdmitSee can help relieve a lot of the pressure by providing examples of successful application essays, especially the supplemental essays. Whatever you decide to do, just remember not to procrastinate. Teachers and guidance counselors don’t like to edit new essays over Christmas break. Early decision is far from a sure thing—so as soon as you send out that first application, get started on the others!

Hope you found this helpful! Here’s my referral link to get 25% off your first purchase!

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring PhD students/teacher.