Admissions Tips from a Sophomore at Duke: Network with college coaches during your summer

This week we asked some of our Admits, current students at top schools, to share how they spent their high school summers. Our goal is to inspire high school sophomores and juniors to start thinking about what they can do to optimize their summers. It’s a critical time to work on self-discovery, explore schools, and/or build their resumes.

Here, RuHo, a sophomore at Duke, shares what she did to stand out:

My main advice to this is: 1) get out of your comfort zone, and more importantly, 2) do something you’re passionate about! My friends/peers worked at summer camps, apprenticed at bakeries, traveled abroad, volunteered at hospitals… These experiences helped them grow and provided inspiration for college application essays. I did something a little bit different—I was focused on improving my chances of getting on a Division I track & field team.

I spent the summer at Stanford’s track and field summer camp (I can’t thank my parents enough for this opportunity). There, I was able to meet the team, talk to the coach, and get a feel for what it would be like to attend Stanford. While there, I reached out to the head of Stanford’s track & field program, whom I had emailed questions to six months earlier. Side note: Don’t be afraid to email coaches, professors, instructors, etc at the prospective schools you want to go to… worst case scenario, they don’t respond! To my surprise, the head of the program remembered my name (or at least he pretended to) and it was a great conversation starter. I built on this experience when reaching out to coaches at other top schools.

image via ussportscamps.com
image via ussportscamps.com

Which brings me to another piece of advice: if you are visiting a college and you have a particular interest in a division of the school, whether it be about a particular major, sport, theater interest, music department, etc, reach out to a professor and see if you can schedule an appointment with them. If they don’t respond, stop by to see their facilities/classrooms when you visit! Reaching out like this helps you learn whether the school is right for you, and it lets the college know of your strong interest. You’ll also be able to reference it in your college application essays. It’s all about NETWORKING! Just make sure you aren’t annoying by displaying an obsessive interest in their school or ask questions that you can easily find online.

Hope this helps, and don’t forget to have fun!

The author of this post is a sophomore at Duke university, who was also accepted to Cornell, Georgetown, UC Berkeley, and BC. Read her application essays and advice by unlocking her profile.

extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.
ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, Johns Hopkins

Hey! I'm a freshman at MIT interested in computer science and the arts.

Hi! I'm an incoming sophomore transfer at Williams who's passionate about technology, STEM education, social justice, and design. I've learned a thing or two after navigating this hectic process twice now, and would love to help guide others through it!

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...