Admissions Tips from an NYU Junior: Gain work experience during your high school summers

NYU Intern JCL521 shares how he spent the summer before senior year of high school gaining valuable work experience and why you should too!

During my junior year of high school, I had the opportunity to intern at a small immigration consulting firm. What started as a dreaded weekly routine surprisingly ended up as one of the most rewarding experience I have had. I dreaded going to the internship because the work seemed boring, the hours long, and on top of it all, it was unpaid. I would much rather have been outside playing basketball with my friends.

However, as my responsibilities grew, I realized that I was learning so many things that high school wouldn’t have been able to teach me. Prior to the internship, I had little to no background in computer programming, law, business, or database management. My supervisor taught me skills that I carry to this day in my college internships. He taught me how to code HTML to design the company website, how to use Quicken to help the company accountant keep the books in check, and how to create databases to organize client green card information. On top it all, I gained valuable insight on business development and the world of immigration law.

image via
image via

When I got to college, I fully realized the impact the internship had on my college career. Interviews for jobs became increasingly easier because I had substance to talk about, and employers love to see prior work experience. The programming and business development I did in high school turned into a real passion; I now have work experience at three tech startups doing marketing and business development. I never would have known that this is what I want to do if I hadn’t had that experience in high school.

I often hear stories of stellar students, 4.0+ GPA students with perfect test scores and honors, struggling to land jobs. Maintaining good grades is definitely important and should be a high priority, but work experience provides a hands-on, real-life learning experience. The skills that you learn in the workplace are the skills that you carry on long after you graduate. No internship is perfect; I have had plenty of rough days in my previous work experience. However, the technical skills you learn, the interpersonal skills you develop, and networks you gain from work experience are a great investment for your future. 

The author is NYU Admit JCL521—unlock his full profile now!

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
Notre Dame ‘20

Accepted to BU, Emory, Swarthmore, Notre Dame

Hello! I'm an international student from Ethiopia and I'll be majoring in Biology. I'd love to share all the tips and tricks I've learned from my rather unique college application experience with you!

Student Advice: Choosing Where to Enroll

It’s a great feeling when you get multiple acceptances from the colleges you’ve applied to, but it can also be a challenging time deciding where to enroll! The tables have turned! Now, it’...

Duke Supplemental Essay Prompts & Examples

Thinking about applying to Duke this Fall? Check out Duke’s supplemental essay prompts and examples from the 2017-2018 application cycle. You can expect similar prompts for the upcoming cycle.Duke Application Prompts1. Short Essay...