AdmitSee goes international with “Absolutely Intercultural”

AdmitSee spoke with Anne Fox of Absolutely Intercultural a few months ago to talk about the differences between American and international universities and the U.S. application process for international students. The podcast focuses on how Chinese students have prepped for attending college in the United States, from moving to the States as early as elementary school in order to plug into the American education system to hiring college application agents to help with both the procedural and substantive aspects of applying to schools to attending workshops designed to help students acclimate to American culture. Indeed, many boarding schools that are recruiting international students have created orientation programs that teach American etiquette and focus on assimilation. 

Considering there are over 800,000 international students enrolled in 4-year U.S. colleges this year and Chinese applicants are increasing 25% from year to year, the process has definitely gotten more difficult and will continue to be competitive for international students. Hopefully, AdmitSee can help connect international applicants with students who are from their hometowns or who share similar backgrounds to obtain personalized guidance and advice. We’re looking to launch our mentoring feature which will allow applicants to contact Admits directly so international applicants can find people just like them who were accepted into their dream schools!

Fittingly, the podcast about U.S. college applications was published on the 4th of July. Listen to the full podcast HERE.

Thanks to Ilse Calderon (Stanford), Jian Zhang (NYU) and Mindy Zou (UPenn) for providing their insights!

Were you an international student? What was your experience of applying to U.S. schools like? What strategies and resources did you use? Do you think AdmitSee will be useful for international applicants? Share your stories or advice in the comments section below!

ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Senior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars