AdmitSee goes international with “Absolutely Intercultural”

AdmitSee spoke with Anne Fox of Absolutely Intercultural a few months ago to talk about the differences between American and international universities and the U.S. application process for international students. The podcast focuses on how Chinese students have prepped for attending college in the United States, from moving to the States as early as elementary school in order to plug into the American education system to hiring college application agents to help with both the procedural and substantive aspects of applying to schools to attending workshops designed to help students acclimate to American culture. Indeed, many boarding schools that are recruiting international students have created orientation programs that teach American etiquette and focus on assimilation. 

Considering there are over 800,000 international students enrolled in 4-year U.S. colleges this year and Chinese applicants are increasing 25% from year to year, the process has definitely gotten more difficult and will continue to be competitive for international students. Hopefully, AdmitSee can help connect international applicants with students who are from their hometowns or who share similar backgrounds to obtain personalized guidance and advice. We’re looking to launch our mentoring feature which will allow applicants to contact Admits directly so international applicants can find people just like them who were accepted into their dream schools!

Fittingly, the podcast about U.S. college applications was published on the 4th of July. Listen to the full podcast HERE.

Thanks to Ilse Calderon (Stanford), Jian Zhang (NYU) and Mindy Zou (UPenn) for providing their insights!

Were you an international student? What was your experience of applying to U.S. schools like? What strategies and resources did you use? Do you think AdmitSee will be useful for international applicants? Share your stories or advice in the comments section below!

extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.
Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

UCLA Class of 2020. Orange County native. I like math and music!
Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

Emory University: Essay Topics & Personal Statement Examples

Applying to Emory University this fall? If you are just getting started on your application essays, get some inspiration from these successful essay excerpts:1. Overcoming Personal StruggleEssay Excerpt from DooleypeanutsEmory University ‘22 Neuroscience and Neurobiology “The...

5 Tips to Help You Look for Scholarships this Summer

Summer after junior year in high school is a great time for you to start looking and applying for scholarships. Why? You’ll get more for your efforts. It’s not something most applicants are...

The ABCs of the ACT
The ABCs of the ACT

When you’re starting your ACT prep, sifting through test materials can be overwhelming. There’s a lot of information, both helpful and unhelpful, about the exam out there. So how do you know where...