Advice to Incoming Students: UCSD

​Are you a current freshman at UCSD, or are you maybe thinking of applying for next year?  Well, you’re in luck.  Vicki, a current student at UCSD, shared her tips and tricks to make your first year, a great one.

UCSD Campus
UCSD Campus

1. Orientation

Meeting new people can be intimidating, but don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone to get to know the people in your orientation group. These people can become your closest friends throughout your college years.

2. College System

Each college is unique and has its own perks. Be informed about your college’s general requirements when picking your classes to see if you would be able to overlap some of those classes.

3. Majors

For those who already chose a major, good for you! Keep in mind, though, that many people do change their majors, so don’t stress if you’re thinking about other options. For those who are undeclared, it’s okay. Make an appointment with your college counselor or go to the Career Services to figure out which path you want to go. 

4. Quarter System

For many this is a major change and will take a bit of adjusting. Figure out the best way for you to study, because each quarter is only about 10 weeks.

5. Dorms

Get out of your room! Meet the people in your suite because you’re going to be spending the whole year with them!

6. Dining Halls

Dining hall food can be bad, but UCSD has a lot of options when it comes to food. There are 5 dining halls; Pines (Muir College) is said to be the best one on campus. There are also 5 specialty dining places, including one that serves completely Vegan dishes (Roots) and one that is Asian-Fusion (The Bistro).

UCSD Library
UCSD Library

7.     Go to Class!

Often, it’s tempting to skip class because attendance is not mandatory, but go! Learn the material for yourself and remember the reason you’re at college.

8. STUDY!

This is probably obvious, but study and take advantage of the fact that our library is like a spaceship (it makes studying at least a little fun, right?). Really, studying is necessary!

9. Join organizations, sororities, fraternities, etc.

Join something! It’ll definitely make your college experience more memorable.

10.  Have fun!

Just because you’re in college and need to study all the time, doesn’t mean you have to give up fun. Go out with some friends and explore La Jolla! Give yourself a break from time to time.

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

Here to mentor and guide you!

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...