Advice for Freshman at UPenn

Adjusting to a new school and an entirely new schedule can be a big challenge for incoming college students. Sarah, a current student at UPenn, shares her advice freshmen at UPenn. We hope you’ll find her insight helpful and have a fantastic freshman year!

1. You can schedule back to back classes!  All classes end 10 minutes early, so even if you’re walking across campus, it is possible to make it on time.  

2. Look online or at the entrance for the dining hall menus before you enter a cafeteria and waste a meal swipe on food you don’t necessarily want, or even food that you can’t eat.  There are plenty of options on campus, so plan accordingly!

3. Orientation will be a lot of fun, but make sure to get into a rhythm within the first few weeks of school.  This will help you to be prepared as the workload starts to pick up.

4. Find the nearest Wawa to your dorm! It will be your best friend when you want a late night snack or a quick bite to eat.

5. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Penn, like many universities, offers over 500 clubs and activities. Try something new, and see how much fun you will have!

6.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help. After all, you are entering a new school with an entirely different system.  It is natural to have many, many questions in the first few weeks especially. 

7. Be sure to check out transportation options. Utilize Pennride, Zipcar, the Loop, and Septa. 

Overall, work hard and enjoy your freshman year.  It flies faster than you would ever imagine!

pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

University of Notre Dame 2017-2018 Supplemental Essay Prompts

Interested in applying to the University of Notre Dame? Check out their supplemental essay prompts for this application season! University of Notre Dame is a catholic university located just adjacent to South Bend, Indiana. It...

What I'd Change About My College Applications
What I’d Change About My College Applications

Hindsight is always 20/20. That’s why it’s also important for college students to look back on their college application experience. They were in the same position you were just a year or two ago....

Williams College 2017-2018 Supplemental Essay Prompts

Located in Williamstown, MA, Williams College is ranked number 1 in liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Williams College is one of the most popular liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Being a liberal...