Advice for Freshman at UPenn

Adjusting to a new school and an entirely new schedule can be a big challenge for incoming college students. Sarah, a current student at UPenn, shares her advice freshmen at UPenn. We hope you’ll find her insight helpful and have a fantastic freshman year!

1. You can schedule back to back classes!  All classes end 10 minutes early, so even if you’re walking across campus, it is possible to make it on time.  

2. Look online or at the entrance for the dining hall menus before you enter a cafeteria and waste a meal swipe on food you don’t necessarily want, or even food that you can’t eat.  There are plenty of options on campus, so plan accordingly!

3. Orientation will be a lot of fun, but make sure to get into a rhythm within the first few weeks of school.  This will help you to be prepared as the workload starts to pick up.

4. Find the nearest Wawa to your dorm! It will be your best friend when you want a late night snack or a quick bite to eat.

5. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Penn, like many universities, offers over 500 clubs and activities. Try something new, and see how much fun you will have!

6.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help. After all, you are entering a new school with an entirely different system.  It is natural to have many, many questions in the first few weeks especially. 

7. Be sure to check out transportation options. Utilize Pennride, Zipcar, the Loop, and Septa. 

Overall, work hard and enjoy your freshman year.  It flies faster than you would ever imagine!

elewal

Accepted to Brown, Cornell, CMU, Wesleyan, William & Mary, Case, Villanova, Binghamton, RPI, WPI

Hi! I'm a sophomore at Brown University studying Biochemistry and English. I love writing, baking, hiking, and music.
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.