Advice for Freshman at UPenn

Adjusting to a new school and an entirely new schedule can be a big challenge for incoming college students. Sarah, a current student at UPenn, shares her advice freshmen at UPenn. We hope you’ll find her insight helpful and have a fantastic freshman year!

1. You can schedule back to back classes!  All classes end 10 minutes early, so even if you’re walking across campus, it is possible to make it on time.  

2. Look online or at the entrance for the dining hall menus before you enter a cafeteria and waste a meal swipe on food you don’t necessarily want, or even food that you can’t eat.  There are plenty of options on campus, so plan accordingly!

3. Orientation will be a lot of fun, but make sure to get into a rhythm within the first few weeks of school.  This will help you to be prepared as the workload starts to pick up.

4. Find the nearest Wawa to your dorm! It will be your best friend when you want a late night snack or a quick bite to eat.

5. Don’t be afraid to try new things. Penn, like many universities, offers over 500 clubs and activities. Try something new, and see how much fun you will have!

6.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help. After all, you are entering a new school with an entirely different system.  It is natural to have many, many questions in the first few weeks especially. 

7. Be sure to check out transportation options. Utilize Pennride, Zipcar, the Loop, and Septa. 

Overall, work hard and enjoy your freshman year.  It flies faster than you would ever imagine!

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.

Should You Take a Gap Year?
Should You Take a Gap Year?

Popular among high school students from the U.K. and Australia, gap years give you an opportunity to delay attending college for a year.  While gap years are as varied as the students who...

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...