Admit’s Advice: How I spent my high school summers

Many high school students wonder what to do with their summers to both learn and relax. Camyle, an incoming freshman at Michigan State University, talks about her summers and her start of college applications.

MSU's Campus
MSU’s Campus

Honestly, I did not begin thinking about college until the summer before senior year, and although this worked out fine for me, it would have been nice to prepare earlier. I spent most of my high school summers hanging out with my friends and enjoying the sun. Every summer from freshman to senior year I took a one-week trip to Myrtle Beach with my family. It was a nice way to begin my vacation and a fun way to be with my family. I do wish I had spent more time focusing on my future though. My summers from freshman to junior year were spent on the beach with my friends and family. They were all very eventful and a nice period of relaxation before school started up again. I traveled to my family’s cabin on Lake Huron very often, and enjoyed swimming and boating. 

I spent time on schoolwork assigned by my English and history teachers. I did not want to do this, but I am glad I did, because it gave me a step up in the class. I also spent the summers looking after my neighbor’s house, pool, and garden. It taught me responsibility, which would definitely help me with the college process.

During the summer before my senior year of high school, I really began to see the importance of applying for college. I spent many days searching and applying to colleges for the early admission. I then talked with my parents and set up many college visits to different schools instead of taking normal family vacations. This really helped me narrow down my college choices. Once I returned home, I decided I needed to do more to make myself stand out in admissions, so I applied for an internship. I spent my summer writing and editing at a local newspaper since I want to be a journalist. I would certainly recommend applying to as many internships as possible!

Ryanh914

Accepted to American, Cornell, Northwestern, Florida, Ohio State, FSU, UNC

UNC '18 from Charlotte, NC.

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
hannah626

Accepted to UGA

I am a current junior at Duke studying biology, marine science, and markets and management studies

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...