Applying to College: Why You Should Consider In-State Options

It’s not uncommon to hear high school seniors voice their excitement about leaving home for college. Many look forward to moving out of their parents’ house and exploring on their own. And while it’s certainly true that going far away from home can be liberating and give students the opportunity to completely live on their own, out-of-state isn’t always the best choice for a lot of students. Those who are planning to go to college should seriously consider whether attending an in-state institution is the right option them, and here are the reasons why:

Cost: One of the major concerns when applying to college is the financial burden you can end up taking on. However, most in-state schools can be significantly cheaper than out-of-state schools. More affordability means less debt, which is an expense students need to recognize will heavily impact their finances in future. For instance, the cost differential at UCLA is upwards of $24,000; California residents pay almost half of what non-residents do. Unfortunately, some state school systems are notoriously harder to get into for non-residents, such as California and North Carolina.

Home-cooked meals: The food at the school cafeteria isn’t always great, so bringing mom’s macaroni and cheese to school for lunch or stocking meals away in a freezer to heat up later is always better than the weird-looking pizza on the counter.

Easy holiday travel: Who doesn’t like going home for Thanksgiving or New Year’s? The best part about going home for the holidays for in-state students is not having to worry about shelling out a ton of money for train or airfare. A majority of in-state students drive to school or take public transportation, so it’s not just an easy trip home for the holidays but a more cost-effective one too.

Emotional support: The college experience can take an emotional and mental toll, so the benefits of being close to family and friends shouldn’t be overlooked. Even just knowing that your family is close by if you need anything can be enough emotional support to lay the foundation for you to succeed at school.

Ultimately, going to college is a huge step in any student’s life, regardless of whether you go in-state or out-of-state. But, take into account the costs, both financially and emotionally, of being away from home. Some students manage just fine, while others are more comfortable in-state. At the end of the day, there’s no right answer. The most important thing, however, is understanding the environment in which you will thrive best.

If you’re already a college student, make sure to sign up now to earn money by uploading your college application materials, and automatically be entered to win the AdmitSee scholarship! If you’re applying to college, check out the various profile packages of admitted students, or search by school to find your dream school.

rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.

Student Insight: How to Approach Transferring Colleges

Not sure if your current university is the best school for you? Consider your transfer options. No one really expects to go through the application process again after senior year in high school. But things...

How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day
How To Succeed on MCAT Test Day

Stressed out about your upcoming MCAT? Our friends at Magoosh will help you through MCAT Test Day! You’ve prepared for the MCAT for months, you’ve selected the right date for you—and it’...

Brown University Class of 2022 Results Released

Brown University admits 738 early decision applicants from the largest early admission application pool Brown has had since the early application program started 16 years ago. The 738 students who received good news from Brown make up 21.1% of...

Cornell University Welcomes 1,533 Students to the Class of 2022

Universities share record-breaking statistics every year when it comes to college applications and this year was no different at Cornell University. Cornell University continued to break two different records three years in a row. Earlier...