Ask An Expert: Should I take the new SAT?

​This week, we asked two of our experts—Resident AdmitSee expert and founder of College Prep 360Joie Jager-Hyman, and NY’s top SAT/ACT tutor and founder of Test Prep Authority, Anthony Green—for their take on whether students should be taking the new SAT. College Board’s breakdown of the changes pending in Spring 2016 (starting March 2016) include:

• A return to a 1600-point grading scale: combining the Writing and Reading sections of the 2400-scale exam into a single 800-point “Verbal” section
  • Placing more emphasis on interdisciplinary, evidence-based reading and writing problems—vocabulary problems will be based on contextual clues rather than tested in a definitional vacuum
  • Math problem sets that test specific skills, such as algebra
  • No point deductions for incorrect answers, so guess away!
  • Making the written essay an optional portion of the exam—it’ll be allocated 50 minutes rather than 25 minutes. An optional essay will cut the exam time down to 3 hours from 3hrs and 45min

Both Joie and Anthony recommend NOT taking the new SAT and taking the ACT instead. Read on for why….

Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.
niustephanie

Accepted to Stanford, MIT, GA Tech

STEM outreach enthusiast. Poet. Programmer. Advocate for women in STEM.
cerealjess

Accepted to Brown, Vanderbilt, Smith, Harvey Mudd, Washington, UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, Swarthmore

I'm a daydreamer passionate about societal transformation... who also happens to spend way too much time watching makeup tutorials.