Ask An Expert: Should I take the new SAT?

​This week, we asked two of our experts—Resident AdmitSee expert and founder of College Prep 360Joie Jager-Hyman, and NY’s top SAT/ACT tutor and founder of Test Prep Authority, Anthony Green—for their take on whether students should be taking the new SAT. College Board’s breakdown of the changes pending in Spring 2016 (starting March 2016) include:

• A return to a 1600-point grading scale: combining the Writing and Reading sections of the 2400-scale exam into a single 800-point “Verbal” section
  • Placing more emphasis on interdisciplinary, evidence-based reading and writing problems—vocabulary problems will be based on contextual clues rather than tested in a definitional vacuum
  • Math problem sets that test specific skills, such as algebra
  • No point deductions for incorrect answers, so guess away!
  • Making the written essay an optional portion of the exam—it’ll be allocated 50 minutes rather than 25 minutes. An optional essay will cut the exam time down to 3 hours from 3hrs and 45min

Both Joie and Anthony recommend NOT taking the new SAT and taking the ACT instead. Read on for why….

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
hannah626

Accepted to UGA

I am a current junior at Duke studying biology, marine science, and markets and management studies