Ask An Expert: Who should look at your essays?

This week’s Wednesday expert advice from Joie Jager-Hyman of College Prep 360 answers:

How many people and to whom should you show your essay concept or essay drafts?

One thing is for sure: in this competitive college admissions environment, you should be the only person who writes the essay but not the only one who reviews it.  

There are numerous resources for high school students who want to craft a winning college essay, including this website.  Books are also incredibly helpful.  At College Prep 360, we just started collaborating with Ashley Wellington after reading her new book Admissions Essay Boot Camp. I also recommend the classic, On Writing the College Application Essay by Bauld and—apologies in advance for the self-promotion—I have a chapter in my new book about essays; I have been told it is very informative.

To recap: start early, rewrite often, seek advice from two or three trusted advisers. 

Of course, you may also want to consider hiring a professional essay coach to work with you on your essays, if you can afford it.  If not, you should find other resources at school that are free, including your guidance counselor and English teacher(s).  Depending on their writing abilities, parents and friends may be helpful. If you know any professional writers, you might also hit them up for advice.

At some point, there can be too many cooks in the kitchen, as they say, so I wouldn’t involve more than two or three trusted advisers in the writing and editing of your college essay.  Just be sure that you pay attention to feedback.  And be prepared to write multiple drafts.  Remember: nothing you have ever liked reading was the product of a first draft.  If the greatest literary giants of all times write multiple drafts of their work, then a novice high school essay writer should certainly be prepared to do the same!

And try to have a little fun with it, if you can!

Next week’s blog:

Anthony-James Green of Test Prep Authority answers your questions about the SAT and whether you should switch to taking the ACT this year.

Have a question you’d like answered in a following blog post? Let us know in our Contact Us form!

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
pam3171

Accepted to Harvard, SD State, USD, Yale, Drake

Harvard '19. President's Interagency Task Force on Human Trafficking. Global Health and Health Policy Concentrator. Legal and political background.
jpm13
Rochester ‘20

Accepted to Rochester, Rutgers, Fordham, College of NJ, Drexel

Hey! I'm a freshman at University of Rochester Class of 2020 interested in double majoring in Biology and Spanish, eventually applying to med school. I'm passionate about studying science, doing research and learning new languages.

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Early Admission Class of 2022 Notification Dates

What date do early decision results start to roll in?College applicants vying for a spot in the Class of 2022 will hear back from their first applications throughout this upcoming week. We’ll update this...