At Top Colleges, an Admissions Gap for Minorities

the author visiting columbia
the author visiting columbia

I recently came across this interactive graph that plots the percentage of students of three minority groups (Black, Hispanic, and Asian) against the graduation rates at various colleges. Basically, it demonstrates how black and Hispanic students are underrepresented at top schools—identified in this survey as those with higher graduate rates—while Asian students are overrepresented. The data is broken down by individual schools.  Even if you’re not interested in the subject, take a look at it.  Interactive maps provide endless amusement . . . no?  Just me?  (Wait til you see the AdmitSee admissions stats feature. Then come back and talk to me.)

Anyway, just wanted to provide some food for thought/background info to chew on as the nation sits on the cusp of the Supreme Court’s decision to either uphold or strike down affirmative action. Check back here in the coming days or follow us on Twitter for updates on the outcome of the U. of Texas at Austin affirmative action case.

aandinofrydman

Accepted to Stanford, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UMich, UNC, UCSB, NYU, UCLA, Washington, UCSD, UC Davis

Bay Area local studying econ, cs, and human rights, and trying to figure out the world!
longhornlove

Accepted to UT Austin, Fordham, U of Houston, UBC, Texas A&M

Hey there! I’m Tara, I’m an American born half Colombian, half Persian International Baccalaureate student attending UT Austin in the fall!
masagold

Accepted to Columbia, Stanford, Yale, USC, Northwestern, Georgetown, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UMich, BC, CMU

jazz guitarist, philosophy major, pre-law, coffee-lover
jackmac401

Theater/business double major from traditional & online highschool background. Can help cut essays & navigate audition/business interview process! On full tuition merit scholarship