At Top Colleges, an Admissions Gap for Minorities

the author visiting columbia
the author visiting columbia

I recently came across this interactive graph that plots the percentage of students of three minority groups (Black, Hispanic, and Asian) against the graduation rates at various colleges. Basically, it demonstrates how black and Hispanic students are underrepresented at top schools—identified in this survey as those with higher graduate rates—while Asian students are overrepresented. The data is broken down by individual schools.  Even if you’re not interested in the subject, take a look at it.  Interactive maps provide endless amusement . . . no?  Just me?  (Wait til you see the AdmitSee admissions stats feature. Then come back and talk to me.)

Anyway, just wanted to provide some food for thought/background info to chew on as the nation sits on the cusp of the Supreme Court’s decision to either uphold or strike down affirmative action. Check back here in the coming days or follow us on Twitter for updates on the outcome of the U. of Texas at Austin affirmative action case.

camrynstafford
Princeton

Accepted to Princeton, Columbia, Fordham, Indiana, NYU, UT Austin, UMich

Dancer with a hardcore business mind
Serena2020
Harvard

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
jcollica524
Emory

Accepted to Emory, Tulane, GA Tech, GWU, Binghamton, UMD, UMich, Northeastern, USC

Hey! I'm a hard-working data/business major who loves to help high school students with college apps! Message me with any questions!
lizolat
Yale

Accepted to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, JHU, Duke, Brown, Dartmouth, WashU, USF, Florida, UCF

Hello, my name is Elizabeth! I graduated from a public high school in Florida, and was accepted to all 11 colleges I applied to. I am now a student at Yale University studying bio!