Being a Freshman at the University of Chicago

Being a freshman at any university is both exciting and terrifying. You’ve just moved in with strangers and you’re still not familiar with your new surroundings. It seems scary at first, but you will quickly find that most universities do a good job in helping you fit in as quickly as possible. Take University of Chicago for example: AndreaPopova shares with us what her first weeks there turned out to be like: 

My first weeks at UChicago were overwhelming, but in an awesome way. There were so many new things to do and people to meet. But I didn’t really get to start these cool new adventures until quite late into the summer because of UChicago’s Quarter System. Instead of semesters, UChicago’s year is broken up into quarters, which causes the first quarter to begin some time in late September. By the time I had started college, all my friends had already been in school for a month. This was both good and bad—bad because I had to stay back at home while my friends enjoyed college, but good because I was able to hear their advice.

The first major change in my life when I came to college was my living condition. Instead of having my own room and bathroom and being under the supervision and care of my parents, I suddenly had a roommate and two suitemates to share a bathroom with and spend time with. I was lucky because I get along really well with all my suitemates; we’re even planning on living together next year! My house has also allowed me to join a network of incredibly supportive, intelligent, and kind people. Something that really helped me make friends was the house table in the dining hall, which is designated specifically for members of our house.

Not gonna lie, UChicago classes are hard. Learning how to study effectively was a huge part of my first few weeks on campus. I really had to buckle down and do my work ahead of time. That being said, working harder outside of classes made my experience in class that much more worthwhile. I was suddenly seeing details in texts that I had never noticed before, and I was raising my hand frequently to answer questions in class. UChicago classes are rewarding on many levels; they allowed me to take my education into my own hands and appreciate the knowledge and wisdom that was imparted to me.

Found this interesting and helpful? Leave a comment and let us know!

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

Hello! I'm a Freshman at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. I plan on concentrating in finance, marketing and social impact. In high school I was active in LGBTQ advocacy and music. I can help with any questions you have about admissions
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...