Career Exploration: A UCLA Student’s Advice

Josh, a student at UCLA, told us about his career exploration in college and his summer plans. His advice: use college as a time to explore what you really want to do!

My summer plans are not set in stone yet, but I have multiple options that I am choosing between. My ideal plan is to secure a part-time job or internship and take summer classes at the same time. I’ve sent in applications and followed up, but I have not heard back anything yet. I also want to take summer classes to lighten my load a bit during the school year, as this would allow me to focus more on extracurricular activities and internships throughout the school year.

I found out about all the internships I applied to through the Internet. There are many straightforward, quality internship websites out there if you just put in the effort to look. Also, UCLA’s career center is one of my most-used resources. Many employers just send information about openings to university career centers, so that’s always a safe place to look for internships and entry-level positions.

My career plans have definitely changed since I started college. I was originally aiming to go to medical school or pharmacy school after graduation. As I started taking classes related to these fields, I realized these weren’t careers I wanted to pursue. I did a lot of research on different occupations and narrowed down what I really wanted in my future. I decided I wanted to do something with social media and marketing. Ever since I switched my major to Economics and my career goal to marketing, I’ve felt so much better about my studies. I’ve been doing better in my classes, and I feel more motivated - that’s what college is all about.  It’s a time for you to figure out who you are, what you’re good at, and what you want to do. Change is totally normal; in fact, it’s great to grow and change as you go through college.

To read more about Josh, visit his AdmitSee Profile!

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...

Introduction to College Grading Curves
Introduction to College Grading Curves

98% accuracy may not be a realistic goal in college; luckily, professors may use curves to save your 68% from destroying your GPA. As a high school student, you are probably accustomed to raw scores being final...

What to Ask on a College Tour
What to Ask on a College Tour

Touring colleges is a quintessential high school experience, and a great opportunity to learn about prospective schools. ​Every college student is able to recognize the starry-eyed high schoolers who swarm campus regularly to explore and...