Carnegie Mellon University Campus Visit: An Insider’s Guide

Carnegie Mellon University is one of the top universities in the U.S. with 7 top college programs. Whether you’re interested in information systems, or architecture, CMU is the school for you. Not convinced? Don’t worry, we put together a 36-hour insider guide to Carnegie Mellon just for you! If you’re planning a visit, or just want to learn more about the school, this guide will be your bible.

Once you get into Pittsburgh, the first thing you should do is visit Fat Head’s for lunch. It’s not on campus, but it’s definitely worth the trip for those huge sandwiches! It will make you fall in the love city that much faster. Or, you can check out the strip and try the Taco vendor outside Reyna Foods. You won’t regret it.

Now that you’ve gotten to know Pittsburgh a little more, head over to campus for the information session and campus tour. There are two sessions: one in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Make sure you register beforehand!The campus tour is about an hour long and will cover all the main landmarks on campus, but try to talk to students who are on campus and ask them questions you may have. Don’t be shy! Most students are pretty open to answering questions about college life.

After a long day on campus, make your way over to Primanti Brother’s for dinner. It is a restaurant bar that will give you the quintessential Pittsburgh experience. You’ll probably find many CMU students having dinner there, so not only will you grab some good food, but you’ll also get a taste of what the study body at CMU is like. If you want to go to a sit down restaurant instead, Point Brugge Cafe might be more suitable for you. You won’t go wrong with their steam mussels.

At the end of day, take a stroll around The Strip District and check out Point State Park. It’s a neighborhood you should check out if you’re planning on being a CMU student! You can then take the Duquesne Incline up to Mount Washington lookout point and enjoy the amazing night view Pittsburgh has to offer. Book a hotel in The Strip District, South Side, or Downtown. It will be best to have a car to help you get around, but it’s not completely necessary.

Before you head out, try to catch breakfast at Pamela’s Diner. It’s very well known breakfast diner that you don’t want to miss out on! Finally, if you’re on a college tour road trip, feel free to also checkout University of Pittsburgh and Chatham University!

If you’re looking to apply to Carnegie Mellon, see profiles to read essays, stats, and advice from students who go in! Chat with a mentor to get help with your application and find out how you can get into your dream school.

LorLop
CMU ‘21

Accepted to CMU, RPI, Stevens, New Jersey IT

Carnegie Mellon University Computer Engineering Student
sandybisaria
CMU ‘19

Accepted to CMU, CalTech, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UMich, GA Tech, Washington, Illinois, Rutgers

I'm currently a Electrical and Computer Engineering student at Carnegie Mellon.
rerkie
CMU ‘19

Accepted to CMU, NYU, William & Mary, Wake Forest, Davidson, GWU

Student-Athlete, Neuroscience Major, Track and Field
emily.b
CMU ‘19

Accepted to CMU, Cornell, UPenn, Stony Brook, Binghamton

Hi! I'm a freshman at Carnegie Mellon in the College of Engineering.