Changes to the SAT’s vocab and how you should approach it

​Now that most application deadlines are behind us and it’s just a waiting game between now and receiving fat/thin envelopes, let’s talk SAT and ACT prep for high school students.

This NPR article discusses what the new SAT and ACT may look like and how you should approach the process of adding vocab to your vernacular arsenal. Here’s an excerpt.

Now the new College Board president, David Coleman, wants to sweep away all those writerly words like “mendacious” and “jettison” that students learn for the exam. They’re to be replaced by words like “hypothesis” and “transform” — what Coleman calls “the real language of power.” That’s a turnabout for the College Board, from insisting that the exams were uncoachable to saying, “Well, since students are going to prep for them anyway, we’ll tell them what they really need to know.” But it also falls in a great American tradition of self-improvement through word power.

Whether or not the standardized test system undergoes this change, look at learning new vocab as an investment toward your future. I mean, it’s been said, “Your boss has a bigger vocabulary than you have. That’s one good reason he’s your boss.”

ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.
yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, JHU, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!