Changes to the SAT’s vocab and how you should approach it

​Now that most application deadlines are behind us and it’s just a waiting game between now and receiving fat/thin envelopes, let’s talk SAT and ACT prep for high school students.

This NPR article discusses what the new SAT and ACT may look like and how you should approach the process of adding vocab to your vernacular arsenal. Here’s an excerpt.

Now the new College Board president, David Coleman, wants to sweep away all those writerly words like “mendacious” and “jettison” that students learn for the exam. They’re to be replaced by words like “hypothesis” and “transform” — what Coleman calls “the real language of power.” That’s a turnabout for the College Board, from insisting that the exams were uncoachable to saying, “Well, since students are going to prep for them anyway, we’ll tell them what they really need to know.” But it also falls in a great American tradition of self-improvement through word power.

Whether or not the standardized test system undergoes this change, look at learning new vocab as an investment toward your future. I mean, it’s been said, “Your boss has a bigger vocabulary than you have. That’s one good reason he’s your boss.”

brianlin
WashU ‘20

Accepted to WashU, CMU, GA Tech, UGA

Aspiring Communication Design and Computer Science student, food lover extraordinaire
thythydo

Accepted to USC, Vanderbilt, UC Berkeley, Cal Poly, Cal Poly Pomona, UC Irvine, UCSB, UC Davis, Tufts, Northeastern, SDSU, UCSD, UCSC, San Jose State, Pacific

Proud to be a Trojan!
kltaylor96

Accepted to Duke, Northwestern, Elon , William & Mary, Centre, Campbell

I am someone who always shoots for the moon so that if I miss, I will land among the stars.