Changes to the SAT’s vocab and how you should approach it

​Now that most application deadlines are behind us and it’s just a waiting game between now and receiving fat/thin envelopes, let’s talk SAT and ACT prep for high school students.

This NPR article discusses what the new SAT and ACT may look like and how you should approach the process of adding vocab to your vernacular arsenal. Here’s an excerpt.

Now the new College Board president, David Coleman, wants to sweep away all those writerly words like “mendacious” and “jettison” that students learn for the exam. They’re to be replaced by words like “hypothesis” and “transform” — what Coleman calls “the real language of power.” That’s a turnabout for the College Board, from insisting that the exams were uncoachable to saying, “Well, since students are going to prep for them anyway, we’ll tell them what they really need to know.” But it also falls in a great American tradition of self-improvement through word power.

Whether or not the standardized test system undergoes this change, look at learning new vocab as an investment toward your future. I mean, it’s been said, “Your boss has a bigger vocabulary than you have. That’s one good reason he’s your boss.”

ayinUChicago

Accepted to Duke, Brown, NYU, UChicago, UNC, East Carolina, NC State

I'm a class of 2018'er at UChicago studying Economics and Psychology! Super interested in start-ups and economics.

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast
Yalie

Accepted to Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Rice, Williams, Amherst, UVA, UNC, W&L U, Rutgers, UVM

Entrepreneurial sophomore Mathematics and Philosophy major at Yale University who also loves the liberal arts.

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Early Admission Class of 2022 Notification Dates

What date do early decision results start to roll in?College applicants vying for a spot in the Class of 2022 will hear back from their first applications throughout this upcoming week. We’ll update this...