Changes to the SAT’s vocab and how you should approach it

​Now that most application deadlines are behind us and it’s just a waiting game between now and receiving fat/thin envelopes, let’s talk SAT and ACT prep for high school students.

This NPR article discusses what the new SAT and ACT may look like and how you should approach the process of adding vocab to your vernacular arsenal. Here’s an excerpt.

Now the new College Board president, David Coleman, wants to sweep away all those writerly words like “mendacious” and “jettison” that students learn for the exam. They’re to be replaced by words like “hypothesis” and “transform” — what Coleman calls “the real language of power.” That’s a turnabout for the College Board, from insisting that the exams were uncoachable to saying, “Well, since students are going to prep for them anyway, we’ll tell them what they really need to know.” But it also falls in a great American tradition of self-improvement through word power.

Whether or not the standardized test system undergoes this change, look at learning new vocab as an investment toward your future. I mean, it’s been said, “Your boss has a bigger vocabulary than you have. That’s one good reason he’s your boss.”

BrownBear23

Accepted to Brown, UMich, UT Austin

Artist, Writer, wannabe-philosopher
rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!
jenee_a

Accepted to Brown, UPenn, Cornell, BU, UMass

Hey! I'm a neuroscience major on the premed track, PLME student, and I love to dance in my free time!
littlegreentre…

Accepted to Stanford, Cambridge, Princeton, Yale, Brown, UPenn, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Swarthmore, Barnard, Wellesley, Duke, NYU, BU

overly ambitious, passionately curious, helplessly perfectionistic