Changes to the SAT’s vocab and how you should approach it

​Now that most application deadlines are behind us and it’s just a waiting game between now and receiving fat/thin envelopes, let’s talk SAT and ACT prep for high school students.

This NPR article discusses what the new SAT and ACT may look like and how you should approach the process of adding vocab to your vernacular arsenal. Here’s an excerpt.

Now the new College Board president, David Coleman, wants to sweep away all those writerly words like “mendacious” and “jettison” that students learn for the exam. They’re to be replaced by words like “hypothesis” and “transform” — what Coleman calls “the real language of power.” That’s a turnabout for the College Board, from insisting that the exams were uncoachable to saying, “Well, since students are going to prep for them anyway, we’ll tell them what they really need to know.” But it also falls in a great American tradition of self-improvement through word power.

Whether or not the standardized test system undergoes this change, look at learning new vocab as an investment toward your future. I mean, it’s been said, “Your boss has a bigger vocabulary than you have. That’s one good reason he’s your boss.”

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
cerealjess

Accepted to Brown, Vanderbilt, Smith, Harvey Mudd, Washington, UC Berkeley, Duke, UCLA, Swarthmore

I'm a daydreamer passionate about societal transformation... who also happens to spend way too much time watching makeup tutorials.