Peer-to-Peer College Application Advice: What Juniors Can Learn From Seniors

Though advice from school counselors is imperative when creating a powerful college application, the advice from your peers who have been through the application process is equally valuable.

Finding first hand advice on college applications from your friends and classmates can be extremely advantageous for you, as they can help you learn how to approach your application and create the ideal high school narrative. Instead of reading forums with out-dated advice, you can go ask seniors who have just gotten accepted so you can maximize efficiency and minimize destructive habits before they occur. Here are five questions you can ask:

1. What was the greatest challenge in completing your applications in an effective manner?

Creating a balance in the high school environment is hard to do, but one way you can is by asking how to prioritize and what to focus on throughout the process.

2. How did you decide the “right” college for you, and how did you make it a reality for yourself?

If you’re going to put in all the work for the college application process, it’s best you land in an environment that you’ll enjoy. Learn how your fellow seniors choose their colleges and their rationale behind their choices.

3. What ways did you make your application stand out to the colleges you applied to?

With upwards of 2 million students applying to college every year, you will need a way to make your voice be heard. Find out how your peers stood out on their applications.

4. Reflecting back on your high school experience, what habits did you develop that were productive towards building your college application? Were there any habits which were particularly unhelpful?  

We all have habits which work for us and ones that cause us to stress or procrastinate. Seeing how your peers managed inefficient methods and created successful habits can give you a great lens on the do’s and don’ts of the application process.

5. What was your attitude approaching the college application process and how did it influence the choices you made for extracurriculars, academics, test prep, etc?

Obtaining your peers perspective and actions they took around the college application can help you to better understand what choices you need to make as a student in order to create the best application possible.

Looking for such critical advice? Try out the AdmitSee mentorship service! It will match you with a student in college who can help you gain this valuable insight. You can receive real feedback on your essay and answer your questions on the application process. Set yourself up for the college experience you want.

extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.
ashleyzo

Accepted to USC, Dartmouth, Emory, UMich, Rochester, Lehigh, Miami, Alabama, Ole Miss

Hi! I'm a college freshman who was accepted to some of the best universities in the country (most likely due to my essays). Feel free to ask any questions!

Hello! I'm a Freshman at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School. I plan on concentrating in finance, marketing and social impact. In high school I was active in LGBTQ advocacy and music. I can help with any questions you have about admissions

Student Reviews: Georgetown's Location & Culture
Student Reviews: Georgetown’s Location & Culture

Thinking about applying or enrolling at Georgetown University? See what current Georgetown Hoyas have to say about going to school on the Hilltop.Located in Washington D.C., Georgetown University offers one of the best...