College Application Tips from a Homeschooled Student

Applying to college is a challenging experience alone. Being a homeschooled student and a college applicant makes it a little extra harder, and certainly more unique. 

While homeschooled students may have many interesting “out of the classroom” experiences to discuss at interviews or in essays, you have to prove that your own learning methods have proved productive. As a homeschooled student, I spent a great deal of time explaining why I chose to homeschool, my parent’s teaching methods, and how it has prepared me for college. There’s no admission counselor to walk you through the application process, or teachers to remind you and help you to fax in any transcript or test scores you have. It is a much more independent process, and as a fellow homeschooler, here are a few tips to make it easier for you:

1. Be proud of being a homeschooled student! You shouldn’t feel like you need to “make excuses” for being homeschooled. Just having a more positive mindset to explain why you were homeschooled will make a difference. Plus, you’ll be answering this question countless times during senior year, you might as well have some fun doing it. 

2. Learn how to design a competitive application. Just like any other college applicant, I had high test scores and interesting extracurricular activities. I needed to learn how to set myself apart from other students who were homeschooled, and even applicants currently attending high school. Without a counselor, I asked for external help from friends and family to help review my application. 

3. Challenge untrue stereotypes in your application. Being homeschooled, I always seen as an under socialized teenager. It’s important to highlight any activities outside the home that matter to you, and emphasize your strongest interpersonal skills on your application. In doing so, you actively combat predispositions and paint an accurate portrait of who you are to admissions officers.

4. Show that you have used your time toward inventing something that matters to you. Homeschooling lends us time to pursue our passions more thoroughly, so use additional essays to discuss how it gave you a new perspective that can benefit their campus.

This college application journey may be challenging, but remember that you can always ask for help from mentors on AdmitSee, your friends, your family, and your community! 

Submitted by intern, Samantha M. 

MichaelR

Accepted to Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, UC Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice, UMich, UCLA, UNC, UT Austin, Washington, Ohio State, UCSD

Midwestern kid who loves molecular biology and electronic dance music. Let me help you edit your essays!

yuzhushi
UMD ‘20

Accepted to UMD, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Case, Swarthmore, Penn State

Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.