College Football Roundup: Week 11 Highlights and What to Watch

Since we’re now well over halfway through the college football regular season, each game carries more weight than the week before. From late season collapses to final playoff leaps, let’s take a look at who’s getting closer and who’s losing hope of getting to the College Football Playoffs:

Cal v. Stanford Reincarnate, Pt. I

Troubles in the Bayou

After losing seven spots in the playoff rankings with last week’s tough loss to Alabama, No. 9 LSU dropped its second straight game, this time to unranked Arkansas. Leonard Fournette rushed for 127 yards including a touchdown, but his efforts were overshadowed by Arkansas offensive explosion led by Alex Collins, who rushed for 141 yards and two touchdowns. The Razorbacks relied on big plays, as they scored three times on plays over 50 yards. Since Alabama had already won their weekend game, LSU is now eliminated from SEC titles hopes. Considering they were the No. 2 ranked team and undefeated just two weeks ago, their season has gone from perfect to lost very quickly.

Cal v. Stanford Reincarnate, Pt. I

Big 12 Shuffle – Oklahoma Edition

Thought to be the game of the week, the clash between the No. 12 University of Oklahoma Sooners and the undefeated No. 6 Baylor Bears wound up having a big impact on the college football world. The Sooners shattered the Bear’s 20-game home winning streak and most likely their playoff chances. Oklahoma’s offense was able to outlast a tough Baylor defense, and the Sooner quarterback threw for 270 yards with three scores. Since their early season loss to Texas, the Sooners have won five straight and now control their own destiny in the Big 12. But with their remaining two games against TCU and red-hot Oklahoma State, the conclusion to their season will keep us all on the edge of our seats. After being left out of the top 4 in last week’s playoff rankings, Baylor’s chances of seeing the playoffs are slim to none.

Cal v. Stanford Reincarnate, Pt. I

Crimson Tide Keeps Rollin’

After dethroning LSU for SEC bragging rights last week, No. 2 University of Alabama continued their tear through the conference with a commanding 31-6 victory over No. 17 Mississippi State. Derrick Henry boosted his Heisman campaign as he ran for 204 yards and two touchdowns, but Alabama’s defense stole the show with nine sacks. Despite being outgained 393 to 379 total yards, the Crimson Tide defense came up big when it needed to and kept opposing QB Dak Prescott and his 300 passing yards off the scoreboard.

Cal v. Stanford Reincarnate, Pt. I

No More Playoff Hopes for Nerd Nation

As if it’s tradition, Stanford and Oregon ruined each other’s national championship hopes for the 6th straight year. The Ducks capitalized on three Stanford turnovers and forced a failed two-point conversion to ensure a victory. In an offensive shootout where both teams combined for over 900 total yards, it was defense that ultimately decided the outcome of the game. On a play that Stanford had to convert to force overtime, Oregon’s defense came up big to stop a two-point conversion with 10 seconds left to seal a 38-36 victory for the Ducks. In a game where Oregon led for almost the entire second half, Stanford fumbled the snap & lost the ball on two fourth quarter possessions, forcing the game to come down to a two-point conversion try. Oregon running backs Royce Freeman and Charles Nelson played a huge role, as the Ducks scored three touchdowns of over 45 yards.

Cal v. Stanford Reincarnate, Pt. I

Another Close One for Michigan

After the “Kick Six” against Michigan State and a late goal line stand victory against Minnesota, No. 14 Michigan had to dig deep again to pull out a double overtime victory against a surprising University of Indiana team. Senior QB Jake Rudock took control of the Wolverine offense, as he threw for 440 yards and a school record six touchdown passes. Indiana had a chance to win or send the game into a third overtime, until a fourth-and-goal pass from the 2-yard line was broken up, sealing the victory for Michigan. In a game where Indiana ran the football for over 300 yards, they surprisingly decided to throw on the last play of the game (the reverse Seattle Seahawks play). Yet again, Indiana kept it close through the entire game, as they did against Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Iowa, but fell short once more.

What To Watch For: Week 12

With the regular season rounding out and coming to a conclusion, it’s time for some of the best conference rivalry games that will have a huge impact on the college football world. Our early pick for game of the week is a Big 12 battle between recently upset Baylor and undefeated Oklahoma State. While playoff hopes may not be in the cards for the Baylor Bears, Big 12 bragging rights are always at a premium late in the season. Oklahoma State has a chance to make a push into the top 4 and looks to knock out Baylor in their hopes of securing a Big 12 title and more. TCU and the University of Oklahoma will square off, as Oklahoma looks to take down Trevone Boykin and the Horned Frogs. If both Oklahoma teams can pull out wins this week then the stage will be set for an instate rivalry with both Big 12 title and playoff hopes on the table for whoever proves victorious.

Despite a hard loss to Nebraska last week, Michigan State looks to square off against Big 10 rival and national championship contender Ohio State. With the Spartan’s playoff hopes already slim, look for them to come out swinging and hungry to ruin Ohio State’s championship hopes next week.

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
extreana
Tufts ‘18

Accepted to CMU, BC, Tufts, Northeastern

Just a rising sophomore trying to help my peers find a school that fits them best! Ask me about engineering, essays, or life in general.
ssp2020

Accepted to MIT, UMich, Rutgers, Cornell, Rice, Johns Hopkins

Hey! I'm a freshman at MIT interested in computer science and the arts.