College Search: The Beginning

Juniors, it’s that time of the year to start thinking about the college application process. We know it’s a long and difficult process and you don’t even know where to start, so we had some college students all over the country weigh in on where you should begin:

Want to be a Hoya? Check out SChai's Admit Profile now!
Want to be a Hoya? Check out SChai’s Admit Profile now!

SChai: The college search varies for each individual, so I can really only explain what I did and what worked for me. Location was extremely important to me, so I first picked out the only cities I was willing to go to college in. Then I researched private schools in these cities, because I was sure that I wanted to go to a private school. Next, I looked at the academic rigor of each school. I went to a high school with a very rigorous academic culture, and I wanted to be challenged on the same - or a higher - level at college. Last, I took a look at average class size and financial aid opportunities. I recommend determining what factors are most important to you in a college, and then narrowing down your potential schools to schools that offer those specific factors.

Kevin3651: Take some of those silly tests to figure out what your interests are. I regret skewing the data so even though you have something in mind, don’t answer the questions just so you get the occupation you are thinking about. Answer them truthfully. Research some of the occupations that come up and of the ones that look interesting, look up colleges that strong academic programs in those fields. That’s how I picked Grinnell because I knew it had a very strong science program and I wanted to be a doctor, so Grinnell’s great track record into med schools was very attractive to me.

Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…
niathuravil
Rutgers ‘20

Accepted to Rutgers, NYU, Fordham, UMass, Colorado, MSU, Illinois, Arizona, Washington

Your local political astronaut with a passion for the prolific things in life.

vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast

UNC Writing Supplement Essay Prompts 2017-2018

Due to its popularity among in-state and out-of-state students, the University of North Carolina is one of the most competitive public universities in the US. The University of North Carolina is the oldest public university...

College Rejection: Understanding the Tufts Syndrome

Ever heard of the term Tufts Syndrome? One of our recently graduated high school interns have and Aditya wants to share with you what it means and how it affects your application. Getting rejected from...

MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts
MIT 2017-2018 Essay Prompts

Applying to MIT this fall? Check out the 2017-2018 MIT essay prompts!If MIT is your dream school, you should already know that MIT does not use the Common Application. Instead, they have their own...