College Visits & First Impressions

As you’re wrapping up your college visits for the fall, take a look at these students’ stories about their college visits, and their first impressions. What did you think of the schools you visited?

Zach’s Story:

After my junior year of high school I went on a college tour with my school. We took a bus from Washington, D.C. to Boston, visiting 17 schools over the course of a week. By the end, it became almost overwhelming and tiring seeing so many different schools. Despite that, I found it an incredibly useful experience. By seeing so many schools in such a short time, even ones I wasn’t interested in, I was able to get a real sense of what I liked and didn’t like in a college. I visited several other schools later on, but it was much harder to compare them because of the large break in time. My favorites on the tour were Brown, Yale, and Penn. I really liked the sense of campus all three had. Yale’s architecture also really struck me. The tour was during the summer though, so there were not many students around, which is a consideration as well when deciding to visit colleges.

Ilse’s Experience:

I visited the following schools (4) during high school senior year:

Amherst: I loved the students there! They were so genuine and really into their major. Most were liberal arts majors. 

Williams: Really similar to Amherst, but I liked Williams more because the students seemed to be more than just “booksmart”. 

Wesleyan: My least favorite college that I visited. It was just not for me. 

Stanford: I loved it! The students, the professors, the atmosphere! Not only did it look like paradise, but the students seemed genuinely happy and dedicated!

beccapenn38

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!

Here to mentor and guide you!
lmelcher

Accepted to Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Rice, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UVA, UC Davis, UCSD, UCSC, USC

Hey! I'm a John Jay Scholar at Columbia, and I'm from Los Angeles. I'm planning to major in Art History and do ballet and theater. Hope I can help!