Inside Look: Columbia International Grad Student

Inside Look is a new series of blog posts from current students at top schools—read about what they love about their school and how they spend their free time. Here, Qiumeng, who is getting her Masters in Statistics at Columbia University, shares how her weekend schedule has changed since moving to New York City.

When I was in college in China, I mainly reviewed the material I had learned during the past week. As a Chinese student, the competition is very fierce. No matter whether you hope to study abroad, study domestically, or work after graduation, you have to strive hard and try to stand out among your peers in such a country with huge population.  Because of this, it is easy to understand why there were so many students studying in every library and classroom. I was one of them.

If reviewing took me 70% of the weekend time, the rest would be the time for relaxation. I usually watched movies and exercised with my friends and boyfriend. Another important part was spending as much as possible time with my family. We got together almost every week to have dinner together and chat about what was happening.

Although I am now abroad and far from my hometown, my weekend schedule did not change much. I have class Saturday, followed by a huge pile of homework. Therefore, I will still spend about 50% of time doing my homework. The rest is spent talking over Skype with my family and friends in China or going shopping. Life in New York is simple but challenging, and so far my time here has been happy and fulfilling.

To learn more about Quimeng, check out her Admit Profile!

nyudotedu

Accepted to NYU, BC, BU, GWU, Northeastern

I was born and raised in Korea, but I've studied in in U.S. boarding school for 7 years. I love people, building, and cars so I love every cities in the world.
uhoh29
JHU ‘19

Accepted to JHU, Cornell, Northeastern, Fordham, UMD, Wisconsin, Temple

Junior Woodrow Wilson Research Fellow at Johns Hopkins majoring in English and Writing Seminars
Isandres2

Accepted to Utah, Colorado, Colby, Williams, SMCVT

Hi! I go by Izi and I am a current student at Williams College Class of 2019. I hope to be a biology or sociology major with a neuroscience concentration. I am on the NCAA Division 1 alpine ski team here.
SChai

Accepted to Georgetown, NYU, Barnard, Northeastern

Hi, I'm Shannon! I'm from San Jose, California, spent a gap year living and working in Leipzig, Germany, and now I go to college in Washington D.C. I've shared everything I can remember about the college application process with y'all! :)

842 Early Applicants Join Yale University's Class of 2022
842 Early Applicants Join Yale University’s Class of 2022

On December 14th, 842 early applicants were offered admissions to be a part of Yale University’s Class of 2022. Yale University accepted 14.6% of the 5,733 candidates that applied to Yale’s early action program. Yale’s early...

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Tips for New AdmitSee College Users
Tips for New AdmitSee College Users

Welcome to AdmitSee, College Students! As you transition from high school student to college student in real life, you should do the same on AdmitSee. Here are our tips on what to include, how to...