Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda…

It may be cliché but it’s true: everybody makes mistakes.  AdmitSee asked students what advice they would give themselves as high school juniors, and the great responses keep piling in!  Here is part 3:

Here is one student’s advice who attends New York University:

If I could go back to the summer after my junior year, I would have spent less time in the classroom and more time getting real-world experience. My parents and I decided that I would take summer classes to help boost my resume and gain some college credits. While the class was great, in the long run it didn’t affect my college credits too much. I realized much later in college, that real-life experience, such as work or volunteer experience, can be much more impactful than a summer class.

Haley is a student at the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign. Click here to unlock her profile!

Haley’s Advice:

The advice I would give myself is to take notice of what methods are easiest for me to retain information. Some people need to make notecards and constantly study and others read something once and it stays in their memory. I feel that in general I didn’t need to study for tests and quizzes more than about a day before them in high school and all I did was read. Another thing I would advise would be to take AP tests senior year. I think this would’ve given me a much better heads up to the fact that college is quite different than high school and it would help prepare you for the upcoming years.

Jacqueline is a senior at Cornell. Click here to unlock her profile!

Jacqueline’s Advice:

I would really like to say that there is nothing to worry about, all this college stuff is going to work out fine.  Just stay organized, and go through the checklist one point at a time.

Want more advice? Browse AdmitSee and unlock thousands of profiles to find out student’s test scores, admissions essay topics, and more!

What You Need to Know About Brown's PLME
What You Need to Know About Brown’s PLME

Dreamt about being a doctor since you’re kid? If so, then you need to know about Brown University’s PLME. What is Brown’s PLME? Brown’s Program in Liberal Medical Education, more commonly...

Introduction to College Grading Curves
Introduction to College Grading Curves

98% accuracy may not be a realistic goal in college; luckily, professors may use curves to save your 68% from destroying your GPA. As a high school student, you are probably accustomed to raw scores being final...

What to Ask on a College Tour
What to Ask on a College Tour

Touring colleges is a quintessential high school experience, and a great opportunity to learn about prospective schools. ​Every college student is able to recognize the starry-eyed high schoolers who swarm campus regularly to explore and...