Declared vs. Undeclared: Which is better on a College Application?

You have the questions, and we got the answers! Today, we asked our interns whether they applied with a declared major and whether that would affect your chances at getting into your dream college! Read their insights and keep their advice in mind!

NUWildcat: It depends. If your major is difficult to get into - for instance journalism at the top journalism school in the country - you would probably have a better advantage applying undeclared. However, if you are an underrepresented student in a certain major - for instance, a female math major - you may have a higher likelihood of being accepted because you stand out. Make sure you carefully craft your undeclared major as an opportunity and not as you not having a passion. You should still demonstrate a goal and a plan of how to reach it in your essays.

nrchhabra: Applying as either declared or undeclared does not help or hurt you. While I applying to college, no one really talked about if and what they were declaring in their application. So many students change their major and minor frequently over the 4 years at college that it doesn’t really affect how schools see you. College admissions offices know that you’re more than likely to change your major even if you apply with a declared major. It is just important to think about and decide what you want to pursue, and whether the school you’re applying to is the right one for you. 

Accepted to Northwestern, Emory, WashU, UMich

Hey everyone, I'm a current Northwestern student (Class of 2018, although I may finish up a little early) and I absolutely love it! Admissions really is a tough time, so try to keep your head up and don't be afraid to take chances.
Serena2020

Accepted to Harvard, UChicago, Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory, Oklahoma U, UKentucky, K College , OU, Alma

Premed on track to graduate a year early. But I love my school! National merit scholar, into surgery, arts & community…