Declared vs. Undeclared: Which is better on a College Application?

You have the questions, and we got the answers! Today, we asked our interns whether they applied with a declared major and whether that would affect your chances at getting into your dream college! Read their insights and keep their advice in mind!

NUWildcat: It depends. If your major is difficult to get into - for instance journalism at the top journalism school in the country - you would probably have a better advantage applying undeclared. However, if you are an underrepresented student in a certain major - for instance, a female math major - you may have a higher likelihood of being accepted because you stand out. Make sure you carefully craft your undeclared major as an opportunity and not as you not having a passion. You should still demonstrate a goal and a plan of how to reach it in your essays.

nrchhabra: Applying as either declared or undeclared does not help or hurt you. While I applying to college, no one really talked about if and what they were declaring in their application. So many students change their major and minor frequently over the 4 years at college that it doesn’t really affect how schools see you. College admissions offices know that you’re more than likely to change your major even if you apply with a declared major. It is just important to think about and decide what you want to pursue, and whether the school you’re applying to is the right one for you. 

jackmac401

Theater/business double major from classic and online highschool background. Here to help navigate audition and business interview processes! On full tuition scholarship

youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!

I'm a student at Columbia. I love writing, activism, terrible jokes, and binge-watching Netflix. Aspiring English teacher.

Harvard University Class of 2022 Early Admission Results Are In!

On Tuesday, Harvard University released its early admissions decisions for the Class of 2022 and accepted 14.5% of early applicants. This year 6,630 students applied for admission under the Early Action program, and 964 applicants were accepted into Harvard’...

Early Admission Class of 2022 Notification Dates

What date do early decision results start to roll in?College applicants vying for a spot in the Class of 2022 will hear back from their first applications throughout this upcoming week. We’ll update this...