Extracurriculars: From High School to Northeastern

Jared is a freshman Business Administration major at Northeastern University looking to go into the banking world when he graduates. Here he shares his extracurricular experience and offers advice for choosing what clubs you get involved in.

St Paul's School
St Paul’s School

Extracurricular activities play a major role in your high school and college experiences. I have played organized basketball now for the past eleven years straight. Although I play because I love the sport itself, there is no question that it helped me greatly in my educational career. I realized that when I was accepted into one of the most elite boarding schools in the country in 2010: St. Paul’s School. My test scores weren’t the best, and yet I still got in. I knew it was because of my extracurricular activities. Apart from basketball, I was also in the National Honors Society, as well as the chess club and the student council.

I learned from this that the people who are reviewing your applications are looking for how you would stand out from all the others. The biggest questions to think about are, “Why choose him over all the others?” And “What is unique about him?” That is what I had in mind when I was applying to colleges. So after I got to St. Paul’s, I tried to be as involved in the school as I possibly could have. Doing so allowed me to make a lot of friends easily, as well as enjoy every day I had there.  

I recently finished my freshman year at Northeastern University. While I was there I was apart of the entrepreneurial society, the Northeastern startup accelerator and also played club basketball. You can spend as much time as you want with clubs like these. Some people choose to be extremely involved and others do not. I found a good balance between these clubs as well as socializing and doing homework. The best part about joining these clubs was that I made a lot of friends while doing it.

Read more about Jared in his AdmitSee Profile!

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!

rodmoretti

Accepted to Columbia, GA Tech, Northwestern, Princeton, UGA

As a part of Princeton Class of 2019, I know how difficult the application process is...I got denied, accepted, and wait-listed to several places. Let me help you find your path to success!
Ves_Nanov

Accepted to Dartmouth, Vassar, Kenyon, UVA

I am an incoming freshman from Bulgaria. I have spent one year as an exchange student in Chicago and look forward to returning to the States this fall.

USC Merit-Based Scholarships You Should Know About

Worried about how you can afford to attend a private university? If you’re applying to the University of Southern California, there are a few merit-based scholarships you should know to alleviate the cost. As...

Student Insight: What to Expect from College Interviews

Not sure what to expect from a college interview? We asked 5 students to share their college interview experiences with you. First thing you should know about college interviews is that they are not required. More...