Extracurricular Activities: The Best Part of High School

No one in high school especially loves going to class at the break of dawn or staying up late to finish homework assignments, but many students share a love for their extracurriculars. 

The reason behind this is pretty simple; extracurriculars are a choice and actually showcase what students are interested in and passionate about in life. They are an important way to unwind, make friends, and even guide students in their interests for their futures. On top of this, colleges and universities place a lot of importance on involvement in school and in the community. It can be an important way to highlight your contributions outside of the classroom.

Not sure what extracurriculars to take part in? There’s probably a lot going on at your school, so this list can help you find out with some personal favorites!

School Newspaper

Working on my school newspaper has probably been the most beneficial experience of high school for me. Unlike other extracurriculars, high school newspapers are typically student-run, meaning the class is usually structured with the editors serving as the teachers and leaders of the class. Among leadership and writing skills, working on the paper also allows you to learn organization, computer layout, and essential marketing skills when it comes to advertising. For me, the atmosphere of the class and the writing lessons are always a plus!

Organized Sports

A popular extracurricular is organized sports. In my case, I run track and play lacrosse in the spring season. Playing sports can definitely increase your school spirit, team building skills, and make you a fitter and healthier person. A downside of this extracurricular is that it can sometimes be very time-consuming, especially for more competitive teams. The time commitment can increase above 10 hours per week, so choose carefully.

Volunteering Clubs

Helping out in your community will not only make you feel good about yourself, it will also look great on college applications and give you community service hours if you need them to graduate. Some examples for me include tutoring students who need help in math and science, reading to kindergartners, and working at the local shelter house. It can be fun to meet new people and make an impact on your community, no matter how small! 

Extracurriculars come in so many different forms, so don’t hold yourself back! If you can’t find one that fits your interests, start your own club. I’m on my way to founding my school’s first Red Cross Club, and it’s a great experience in leadership. The most important thing to remember is to pick a few that you can commit to (don’t sign up for everything you see) and follow what you love. 

Written by an AdmitSee HS Intern, Mena. 

ltan98
Fordham ‘20

Accepted to American, Fordham, Skidmore, Syracuse, UC Irvine, UCSB

Hi there! I went to an American school in Hong Kong from K-12 and will be starting my freshman year at Fordham University at Lincoln Center in the fall. If you're interested in theater and come from overseas, I would be of particular help to you!
youngch

Accepted to Baruch, Binghamton, Brooklyn College, Hunter, Macaulay Honors, Duke, JHU, Northwestern, UPenn, Brown, Cornell, SUNY Buffalo, Rice, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia

I grew up in New York City, Bronx and Brooklyn to be exact. I went to pretty big public schools and once you find a supportive yet motivating group of friends, teachers, advisors, and counselors to complement your family, life becomes a whole lot better!
vicamit

Accepted to Florida, Vanderbilt, Duke, Emory, UPenn, Miami, Northeastern, UVA, UNC, Georgetown, Rice

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholar at Vanderbilt and art enthusiast